What's Your Knife Confession?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know most of you have something you're not proud of, but no pressure to expose yourself.

Here is mine:

*** I haven't been taking care of my knives and many of them aren't sharp. I did something today (which I will not disclose) that made my sharp knifelike heart sink -- it was really that dull of a knife. Cognitive dissonance has set in and I feel guilty, which leads to avoidance. And some knives I don't enjoy using right now because they remind me of what I should be doing. I should simply sharpen my knives but life's other duties have pulled me in so many other directions: preparing to move, mortgage financing (W TF's up with that crap), a new wonderful kid, legal action x2, and other crazy things. I don't get much sleep. To make it worse, I have been cheating on KKF. No, it isn't one of those other $2 knife board whores...I have been hanging with wine geeks in their internet space. They aren't even that friendly...but at the end of the day there is usually an uncorked bottle of wine next to me and not a sharpening stone.

Anyhow, I will be back in form one day...just not now. This is my confession -- now back to my bordeaux.

k.

I understand completely, but - not to judge - I seem to remember you making a great little sharpening station about a year and a half ago. Tsk tsk tsk. Now ask my wife how sharp her knives are... ugg
-M

That custom wood box. Loved it. Weren't you thinking about put a strop on it?

There is not reason you cannot have an uncorked bottle of wine and a sharpening stone next to you at night. Have to multi-task.

+1. I'm kinda going in the same direction as Drinky, although my reason is different. Some kind of neck issue is causing numbness in 2 fingers...makes it hard to hold the angle so I've been avoiding. Doesn't interfere with holding a glass at all though.

I have a few carbon knifes that have some rust spots on them that I've been neglecting. Even more shameful is the fact that I ground a few knives last year, had handles made for them and prepped them for mounting and then I just couldn't do it. I inspect them every once in a while but they remain unmounted. I'm blaming everything on my third kid who just turned 1 yr old and renewing my commitment to being fit... I feel shame...

After moving, I've put three of my (small) collection of knives into a drawer. They haven't left since.

P.S. Karring, I'm going to Burch for dinner tonight. Recommendations?

So far, I can confess to everything mentioned above except to drinking wine.

Stefan

I can't remember the last time I sharpened my knives, other than when I touched one up on my 6k for a customer, and decided to do my wife's knives at the same time.

I'm also learning that I really can, and should survive with one gyuto, a petty, a parer and a "fun knife".

Lastly, I check this place more often than is normal and find that sometimes an hour will pass and my coffee has gotten cold, all the while, I don't remember anything I've read. I'm busy, and while I love selling knives to the right people, I'd rather dream up and create. Thus, my site is literally 50 knives behind....

I admitt, I had a tojiro itk I took the handle off and ordered some nice burls to attempt my first half a $$ attempt at a wa. After trying to make cheap handles out of pine and succeeding within reason, I still haven't touched the burls. The feer if ruining the wood and an absolutle lack of time due to my first sin, 6 months old, doesnt allow it. My reground, kurouchi remived and polished blade sits in my garage with surface rust building.. shameful

LOL. That's awesome, I complain about not having time to do basic knife duties and you point out something else I am neglecting.

k.

So sorry. It was just such a great idea. My home shop is trashed. My workspace is a mess, and I'm a month behind setting up a we work station. I'm in no position to judge anybody.

I have a drawer full of various vintage carbons, and a shelf full of wood, but lately when I get home from work, I just want to eat a bowl of ice cream, watch a little TV, and go to sleep.

So sorry. It was just such a great idea. My home shop is trashed. My workspace is a mess, and I'm a month behind setting up a we work station. I'm in no position to judge anybody.

No harm man; I just thought it was funny.The thing is that in order to finish something with that box I have to make a call to someone else who is also way behind on doing something for me. The point of this thread is that passions take a lot of time and energy and invariably those passions get derailed at points -- and that's ok.

k.

I made a brief attempt at fixing the pitting in the blade of a yanagi. I screwed it up royally.
I was going to have the maker fix the pitting but now they will have a much bigger job.
Nothing earth shattering right? It's the 390 Mizuno Tanrenjo Blue DX honyaki.
The horror.

I love my knives so much sometimes I take a fav gyuto to bed at night. With saya of course!

Once I started making knives, I lost interest in collecting knives. I have 3 knives I use regularly, all made by me. However, I still enjoy getting hands on any performing knife to study it.

My confession: I still have OOTB edges on a good number of my knives (which is a count significantly higher than Marko's slim, trim 3!). In fact, this morning I'm going to be *finally* properly opening 2 deba that I've already had in my active rotation for over a month now.

I only get to fit in sharpening time on the occasional weekend mornings now, before my wife wakes up and before I have to start working on A, B, C, or X, Y, Z.

My dirty little secret: I have way too many awesome knives that I have yet to use. The primary reason is that I wanted to get comfortable with my sharpening skills before I wrecked my expensive knives. It was only until recently that I started venturing out and using some of my other knives now that I am very happy with my sharpening technique.

I cut myself really bad one day while using a nice yanagi. I'm generally a really calm guy but it was a bad cut on a bad day at a really bad time and I became totally irate. I survived. The knife didn't. :(

I have a really bad knife confession. mhenry is going to hate me. I still havent opened the post box I received from him Feb 12 2013. Why? I am afraid to ruin it. I am thinking of bartering it to someone who will teach me to break down a pig. I dont know. I just havent opened it. It was a very beautiful knife in pictures.

I have a really bad knife confession. mhenry is going to hate me. I still havent opened the post box I received from him Feb 12 2013. Why? I am afraid to ruin it. I am thinking of bartering it to someone who will teach me to break down a pig. I dont know. I just havent opened it. It was a very beautiful knife in pictures.

ill show you how to break down a pig. I wanna see this thing. dear god. 8 months in the box?!!!!

ill show you how to break down a pig. I wanna see this thing. dear god. 8 months in the box?!!!!

lol im thinking of asking my chef to teach me everything and giving him the knife really. that way we would both benefit and i will get lots of hands on time. ill unpackage it this week. *shudder* from what i remember it was a sight to behold and i had to sell things to acquire it lol.

I know most of you have something you're not proud of, but no pressure to expose yourself.

Here is mine:

*** I haven't been taking care of my knives and many of them aren't sharp. I did something today (which I will not disclose) that made my sharp knifelike heart sink -- it was really that dull of a knife. Cognitive dissonance has set in and I feel guilty, which leads to avoidance. And some knives I don't enjoy using right now because they remind me of what I should be doing. I should simply sharpen my knives but life's other duties have pulled me in so many other directions: preparing to move, mortgage financing (W TF's up with that crap), a new wonderful kid, legal action x2, and other crazy things. I don't get much sleep. To make it worse, I have been cheating on KKF. No, it isn't one of those other $2 knife board whores...I have been hanging with wine geeks in their internet space. They aren't even that friendly...but at the end of the day there is usually an uncorked bottle of wine next to me and not a sharpening stone.

Anyhow, I will be back in form one day...just not now. This is my confession -- now back to my bordeaux.

k.

I know you have at least one knife that's sharp, Drinky, because it wasn't so long ago that I sent it back to you. ;)

Breaking down a pig is more practice than anything. Buy some little ones and work up. It is so much fun. I've been considering going back to my old job on pig day just to relive the old days. Goats are another good way to practice. They are smaller and usually cheaper.

Also if you have any questions let me know, I've done this a lot and know some tricks to make it easier. Using the weight of the pig is key. That is what makes it either very easy or very hard, because if you spend the whole time fighting the pigs 275# it WILL win and you'll slip and cut yourself, or gash up your loin or belly.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back