Jim Arbuckle's technique (Part II) -- pick heavy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danielomalley

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay in getting the next set out ... I've been having trouble getting the pictures to attach correctly. You can see more of Journeyman Smith Jim Arbuckle's work here:

http://www.epicedge.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=213&cat=Arbuckle,+Jim,+J.S.

11. Scribe the length of the cutting edge then flip the blank over and scribe again; this leaves two lines parallel to the cutting edge.
Arbuckle_11.jpg

12. I then grind 45° bevels on both sides of the blade until the grinds reach the scribed lines.
Arbuckle_12.jpg

13. 45° bevel viewed from the side.
Arbuckle_13.jpg

14. I grind the bevel at a higher angle moving the grind line up the side of the blade but leaving the same thickness at the edge.
Arbuckle_14.jpg

15. The bevel grinding continues as the grind line works away from the cutting edge. I stop when the bevel hits the top of the finger groove.
Arbuckle_15.jpg

16. Once the bevel is completed, the blade is smoothed using progressively finer belt grits.
Arbuckle_16.jpg

17. Grip profile is marked on tang of knife blank, pin holes and lightening holes are marked.
Arbuckle_17.jpg

18. The holes are then drilled on the drill press and the edges chamfered using a countersink. Sharp edges now get smoothed up.
Arbuckle_18.jpg

19. Grip profile is remarked on the tang.
View attachment 18752

20. The tang is ground closer to its final shape.
Arbuckle_20.jpg

Looks awesome. To blend the grinds together don you take the 45 degree angle all the way up the blade to the spine?

Back