Quantcast
KKF Passaround(s) - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: KKF Passaround(s)

I like the Petty's best for personal reasons , as to the Larger sized knives I prefer 210 to a 240 and I love a lighter knife as one tends to us them all day while cooking and preparing foods they are much easier on my Crippled hands .

Sam

I think you should pass around whatever you think is an accurate measure of what you feel is your best work, whatever style of grind that may be. As for shape and length, 240-250 mm gyutos are very commonly used so you'll get the most meaningful feedback for blades around that range. I'd say pettys and sujis are less useful for feedback since stickage is less of a factor.

Thanks for all the input guys! Based on your input, I'm leaning towards a middle of the road gyuto in 240/50mm. In all honesty, I like knives that are thin up to a minimum of about 3cm above the edge. Less than 1mm 1cm above the edge certainly. I don't really think a knife cuts properly when they're much thicker than that. I am NOT however, a professional chef...and my experience with higher end kitchen knives is limited to my own knives, one from Don Nguyen, one substantially heavier knife from Mike Davis, and Son's Forgecraft. Of those, the Forgecraft and Don's have traits more similar to mine. I think Mike's knife was just completely alien to me in design, and I wasn't sure what to do with it lol.

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    I think you should pass around whatever you think is an accurate measure of what you feel is your best work, whatever style of grind that may be. As for shape and length, 240-250 mm gyutos are very commonly used so you'll get the most meaningful feedback for blades around that range. I'd say pettys and sujis are less useful for feedback since stickage is less of a factor.
    In all honesty...I'm comfortable with all that I've done so far...and the grinds on each knife were similar in concept to the others.

210 gyutohiki:

325 sujihiki:

210 gyuto:

So in the end, I'm not sure it matters much lol.
    I try to be the man I am..in times of broken lives. Shattered dreams and plans..standing up to fight. Pressures and demands..staring at the knife. Holding in your hands..

That gyuto grind reminds me of my KS.
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

Quote Originally Posted by brainsausage View Post
    That gyuto grind reminds me of my KS.
    Is that a good thing lol?
    I try to be the man I am..in times of broken lives. Shattered dreams and plans..standing up to fight. Pressures and demands..staring at the knife. Holding in your hands..

Depends on ones personal preference...
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

Quote Originally Posted by brainsausage View Post
    Depends on ones personal preference...
    Yeah...this whole thing is pretty subjective. My main goal with my knives is ease of cutting first, food release a close second, and balance/etc last. What I mean by this is when someone gets one in their hand and puts it through food, they should go 'Oh...nice!'. Then the food should fall off. Then, because of the overall feel of the knife...I want it to be the one they naturally reach for when they want to cut something.

I know those are some pretty lofty goals (and to me the really subjective part is the 'feel'...thus custom ordering them)...particularly for a guy who's new to kitchen knives, but there you have it...that's what I want lol.

240/50 ftw there boss.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

240-50. I would definetely be interested in a pass around!

Spokane, WA aka Spokanistan, or Spoklahoma, or...
    How about a nakiri? great looking work btw.
    Amat Victoria Curam Fortune favors the prepared.
    "A human being is primarily a bag for putting food into." -George Orwell

+ Reply to Thread