Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My next knife?

My next knife?

So, what should my next knife be? I currently own:

6" Wusthof Grand prix II chefs knife
    240mm stainless Fujiwara Gyuto
    4" Forschner Paring knife
    Forschner Bread knife

Pretty basic stuff, Im not a pro chef or anything, just like cooking at home and enjoy using decent stuff.
    I pretty much cook everyday, and eat all natural foods, so I cook a lot of veggies, fruits and meat.

Thanks for any advice you can give a newbie to the knife world.

A suji if you want/need to slice. Or perhaps a petty in the 150mm range. Both of those would fill some gaps.

But I think an upgrade to maybe a ~$200 gyuto might get you a knife you really love. (Though you didn't mention a budget, or what you think is missing from your current set.)

how are you sharpening? if not then I would suggest next purchase to be stones

if all set there then I would maybe suggest a cleaver or nakiri first and then start buying more gyutos
    one man gathers what another man spills...

ditto on stones, i'm still trying to find the perfect ones for myself. once you get sharpening down, you can make any knife perform the way you like.

I have a king whetstone (400/1000) on the way. I just purchased a glestain 140mm petty. Thinking I may pick up a cleaver or Nakiri too. Does anyone have any recommendations on those?

get a suehiro rika as a finishing grit on your japanese knives =D

What's your budget?
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

270 Suji for a slicer. Kikuichi EC or Masahiro if you like carbon. Can't help with stainless Suji...

Nakiri, meh......save that money for stones. And the Suehiro Rika is a great one.

Spokane, WA aka Spokanistan, or Spoklahoma, or...
    You do not yet have a nakiri, so you are really missing out on a lot of fun. Also, if you get one, it will be a great stepping stone towards a j cleaver such as a most beloved Takeda Large. Yes, slowly but surely you must come to the dark side....
    Amat Victoria Curam Fortune favors the prepared.
    "A human being is primarily a bag for putting food into." -George Orwell

I suppose I would like to keep it around $200 or less. I could go more if the extra $ is needed to gain a feature I would appreciate or use.