My next knife?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WLX17

Reaction score
So, what should my next knife be? I currently own:

6" Wusthof Grand prix II chefs knife
240mm stainless Fujiwara Gyuto
4" Forschner Paring knife
Forschner Bread knife

Pretty basic stuff, Im not a pro chef or anything, just like cooking at home and enjoy using decent stuff.
I pretty much cook everyday, and eat all natural foods, so I cook a lot of veggies, fruits and meat.

Thanks for any advice you can give a newbie to the knife world.

A suji if you want/need to slice. Or perhaps a petty in the 150mm range. Both of those would fill some gaps.

But I think an upgrade to maybe a ~$200 gyuto might get you a knife you really love. (Though you didn't mention a budget, or what you think is missing from your current set.)

how are you sharpening? if not then I would suggest next purchase to be stones

if all set there then I would maybe suggest a cleaver or nakiri first and then start buying more gyutos :biggrin:

I have a king whetstone (400/1000) on the way. I just purchased a glestain 140mm petty. Thinking I may pick up a cleaver or Nakiri too. Does anyone have any recommendations on those?

get a suehiro rika as a finishing grit on your japanese knives =D

270 Suji for a slicer. Kikuichi EC or Masahiro if you like carbon. Can't help with stainless Suji...

Nakiri, meh......save that money for stones. And the Suehiro Rika is a great one.

You do not yet have a nakiri, so you are really missing out on a lot of fun. Also, if you get one, it will be a great stepping stone towards a j cleaver such as a most beloved Takeda Large. Yes, slowly but surely you must come to the dark side....

I suppose I would like to keep it around $200 or less. I could go more if the extra $ is needed to gain a feature I would appreciate or use.

Since you've got a gyuto and a bread knife and a petty- I'd say the next step would be the Suehiro Rika as a finishing stone, a CCK 1303 cleaver because they're super fun, really easy to get sharp, and a nice introduction to a different kind of knife. Then, unless you're just feeling made of money, the best thing is just spend some time getting better at sharpening. As an alternative plan, you could spend the $200 of your budget all on a nicer gyuto, and then maybe you could sell your Fujiwara and apply the funds to the Rika, since you're going to want a finishing stone anyway. But the CCK + Rika plan allows you to try a different type of knife, get a stone you'll want anyway, and you'll save $$$ for down the road when you have a better idea what you might want. Spending some more time with the Fujiwara will help with that process, too...

Back