MINIMALISM: In search of The ONE STONE setup.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DitmasPork

Reaction score
Hi. Have a question for you sharpening experts.

I'm looking to find an upgrade to my King 250/1000 Combo which I've had for years. It served me well back when my main knives were Wustofs and Sabs. My problem with my King Combo is that it's only 2 inches wide, and I feel very limited by its size, especially for my suji.

My current range of knives range from carbon [Masamoto HC, Sab] to PM [Kagero] to a couple of Molys, and a couple of cleavers, etc.

It seems like a lot of members on KKF are competent to expert sharpeners, with multiple stone setups. What I want is a recommendation, or insight into ONE STONE to adequately maintain my range of knives—since I don't see myself buying a whole collection of stones in the near future.

In reviews/posts I occasionally read remarks of certain stones that would be great for a ONE STONE, all around setup. Some of the stones I've seen recommended are:
• Gesshin 2k
• Gesshin 1k/6k Combo
• Green Brick
• Red Brick
• Bester 1200k

I would greatly appreciate any advice or opinions on these stones [or one I've overlooked], since there is such a dizzying number of stones out there!

Gesshin 1/6 combo or maybe the 2k might be nice. I've used and sold a green brick--definitely not a one stone solution.

I agree with chinacats the green brick is not one stone solution at all. I am in process of switching it for Gesshin 2K.

Technically the combo stone would be the best option. You can make a light touch ups and finish on one side and remove the fatigue metal on another when needed. Unfortunatelly I never tried a combo stones, so no concrete recommendation here.

I am not the most experienced of sharpeners, but I would think that a 1k stone would always be the best one stone solution ( except for a combo stone of course). decent cutting with a decent polish. not too much burr.

Bester 1200 is a good do it all stone.I you like a large stone Gesshin has a 1000,over 2" thick-over 3.5" wide.

Bester 1200 is a good do it all stone.I you like a large stone Gesshin has a 1000,over 2" thick-over 3.5" wide.

Yes, looking forward to a wider stone, especially for my suji!

One of the things that confuses me is when I read about 2k stones cutting as fast as 1k stones, etc.

One stone...hmmm, You may have to go with one of the 1000/6000 combo, but eventually you'll cave in anyway, so:
Hard to wrong with these for the price: Beston 500, Bester 1200 and Suehiro Rika 5000

If you're going to break down and get more than one, you'd cover the widest spectrum by going Gesshin 600 and 6k. Added bonus is that they're both splash and go.

Gesshin 2k, cuts faster than most 1ks, leaves a more refined edge than most 2ks, and it's pink

If you're going to break down and get more than one, you'd cover the widest spectrum by going Gesshin 600 and 6k. Added bonus is that they're both splash and go.

I do like the idea of either a splash and go or or one that doesn't need a long soak. Wouldn't the Gesshin 1k/6k combo be more versatile than going with a Gesshin 600 and 6k? I'm not likely to chase a mirror polish.

Was just thinking back a couple of decades ago when I got a knife sharpened by someone else, I had taken my trusty Chinese cleaver and a Wustof to an Ace Hardware in NYC that had a sign that read "Professionally Sharpened Knives." When I picked them up, my knives were almost destroyed, way over sharpened, with the profile completely changed! You live, you learn.

The 600 gesshin will allow you to do some minor thinning and repairs easier easier than a 1k. It also leaves a useable edge. I have a 600 and a 5k, but would suggest you talk directly with Jon if you are considering either.

I would not suggest anyone take knives to a hardware store for sharpening.

Cheers

Let's see I would probably echo the other here and say either the Gesshin 1K/6K Combo or the Gesshin 2K. Neither will give you a mirror polish but the Combo gives you a bit more option for refinement.

I own the Gesshin 600, XL 1K, 2K, and 6K. I really liked the Combo but liked the feel of the separate 6K better. That said if I was going to go with one stone and one only I would go with the Combo. Jon could obviously speak with more authority and knowledge on this but I would say that you could do just about anything with it from thinning to finishing. I have to say that I really love the feel and performance of all that Gesshin stones and feel they are easily worth the price.

I think a 600/2k combo would be as minimal as I would go. Seeing that there are a wide range of tasks involved in sharpening, using only a single stone is pretty non-optimal.

Tools from Japan has a combo featuring the rika 5k and a 1k stone, that could be a great match for what you are doing.

Both the Gesshin's & Bester's are wide stones all over 70mm.Since you already have used a combo stone.I prefer stand alone stones.As mentioned for the money 1200 Bester & 5K Suehiro Rika can't go wrong.Dave Martell sells both.

I can't speak for the Gesshin splash & Go,the soakers have 1K extra large,2K,4K,8K .Always soaked my stones at home & work so no big deal.The 2K got alot of use.Right now using 1200 Bester & 4K Gesshin they go together like Fish & Poi.

If you don't have a diamond plate for leveling stones can get for 50.00 & can double as a coarse stone for thinning & knife repair.

I have the green brick, and it isn't a completely stand alone stone. It will work most of the time, on most knives (though like someone here pointed out in another thread it does load up quickly) you would have to have a lower grit stone to go along with it. I do like it, wish that finances would allow to try the gessin stones or a natural stone or two.

I have the Bestor 1.2 and the Gesshin 2K, like them both. My experience is the Gesshin dishes considerably more and would necessitate a flattener. I prefer it but if I could only have one the Bestor would get the nod. As it is I use the Gesshin on most of my knives and the Bestor on other peoples and my non-Japanese stainless.

And Poi? I thought it went with wallpaper?

I don't know about pasting paper,also good with rice lomi salmon & some chili pepper water:rofl2:

I would pick just about anything in the 1-2k range. I might pick a fancy diamond plate from Jon, if I could get it. Otherwise, I like my Gesshin 1k splash n go, Gesshin 2k, Sigma Select II 1.2k or Bester 1.2k. They're all very good stones.

Gesshin 2K. Cuts fast and leaves a sharp toothy edge suitable for food.

I like the Bester 2k for a slightly cheaper option than the Gesshin 2k, but the Gesshin 2k is the better choice if you're willing to spend the extra money.

IMO with only 1 stone (unless it's actually 2 stones glued together) You will always be making a major sacrifice / not getting the most out of your knives.
2 stones is about as low as I'd ever go and I'd want something under 1k and at least 4k.

The Gesshin 400 is a really fantastic stone cuts fast enough that I have to be fixing some really serious damage in order to want something coarser, and at that point, a cinder block will do. it leaves a nice enough finish that I have yet to really want for a 1k.
The Gesshin 4000(soaker) is also a really nice stone. I used to leave it perma-soaking, but after I moved I lost the space to have a bucket of water just sitting around, so I discovered that it really doesn't need much soaking. Just running it under the tap and letting the water soak in is good enough for a quick touch-up and it reaches full saturation in just a few minutes.
It's also the 2nd fastest cutting stone I own (next to the 400) and it cuts fast enough that I've never had a problem jumping from 400 to 4k.
The 4k is also the slowest wearing and dishing stone I own. It leaves a very bright finish that's about as aggressive as I'd ever want (esp when used right after the 400 and not over-worked). For many people, I'm sure that the 4000 would be a totally satisfactory stopping point, but if it was my finest stone, I think that I would still occasionally miss a finer, more polished edge, but just a little stropping on newsprint or leather would work well.

Shapton GlassStone 1K or Shapton Pro 2K.

Justin ditto on the 4K.Great feedback it's my finishing stone these days,just using 2 stones.Only if sharpen my Yanagi or Usuba then go to the gesshin 8K.:)

+1, the gesshin 400/4k and newsprint is my current ride, love it.
IMO with only 1 stone (unless it's actually 2 stones glued together) You will always be making a major sacrifice / not getting the most out of your knives.
2 stones is about as low as I'd ever go and I'd want something under 1k and at least 4k.

The Gesshin 400 is a really fantastic stone cuts fast enough that I have to be fixing some really serious damage in order to want something coarser, and at that point, a cinder block will do. it leaves a nice enough finish that I have yet to really want for a 1k.
The Gesshin 4000(soaker) is also a really nice stone. I used to leave it perma-soaking, but after I moved I lost the space to have a bucket of water just sitting around, so I discovered that it really doesn't need much soaking. Just running it under the tap and letting the water soak in is good enough for a quick touch-up and it reaches full saturation in just a few minutes.
It's also the 2nd fastest cutting stone I own (next to the 400) and it cuts fast enough that I've never had a problem jumping from 400 to 4k.
The 4k is also the slowest wearing and dishing stone I own. It leaves a very bright finish that's about as aggressive as I'd ever want (esp when used right after the 400 and not over-worked). For many people, I'm sure that the 4000 would be a totally satisfactory stopping point, but if it was my finest stone, I think that I would still occasionally miss a finer, more polished edge, but just a little stropping on newsprint or leather would work well.

+2 I have to agree with this. I'm a big fan of the 400-4k+ combination, too. I've found exactly what you use as a finisher isn't all that important although I keener edges off of harder stones.

Geez, lots to think about. Halfway through the thread I was kinda leaning towards just getting the Gesshin 2K or Bester 1200k and seeing how that went.

But a few have mentioned getting both the 400 and 4000 Gesshins, or both the Bester 1200 and Suehiro Rika 5000. With the Gesshin 400 and 4000, I would have thought that it's too far of a jump between grit? I've not handled many different stones.

Back