Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Most Essential Knives In Your Knife Roll

Most Essential Knives In Your Knife Roll

I know this will vary from one user to another, but there got to be some overlap.

If I were a chef (big were!), I'd think these would be knives I would consider most essential. I am not, however, so what do you pro guys think of this list? What can be added or removed? Lets assume that each knife is made to fulfill its function well, and no duplicates of same type and length are needed.

135-180mm honesuki
    150mm petty
    225mm heavy gyuto
    225mm gyuto
    255mm gyuto
    240mm suji
    320mm bread
    270mm yanagi
    240mm Miroshi deba

There is a reason I am starting this thread (to be revealed later).

M

PS: Measurements are on the cutting edge.

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    150mm Marko proto honesuki
    150mm boning/filet knife
    300mm yanagi
    210mm kama usuba
    270/280 gyuto
    240mm heavy gyuto
    150mm petty
    270mm bread
    210mm deba

however, there are a lot of items in my kit that aren't knives that are just as important(yeah I just said it)
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

150 petty
    150 honesuki
    250 workhorse
    270 laser
    300 yani
    300 scimitar
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

Cool, thanks guys -

All right, I will spill the beans. While looking for information about a knife roll, I kept thinking that the height of a typical roll and a distance between knife pockets might be an issue, as I would store my knives in sayas. 300mm+ knives in sayas will require 330-340mm of needed clearance and a typical knife in saya will add approximately 15mm or so in width, depending on the type.

Going custom route is expensive, and since most rolls typically don't involve stitching, just riveting (so a lot of measuring and calculating for rivet holes), so I got an idea to make myself a roll. It will probably have 10 slots for knives in sayas, a slot for DMT plate with a felt strop, a slot for DMT ceramic rod and few other accessories. Will also think of additional support to keep items in place. Depending on the outcome, this might become a product down the road tailored to the products I am offering.

Necessity is the mother of ideas.

This thread was to get an idea for a typical roll dimensions and a number and types of slots.

M

this is the kit i take to work:

90 paring
    150 sabaki bocho (to be replaced by a marko honesuki)
    210 petty/line knife
    270 gyuto
    300 suji
    210 western deba (basher)
    270 bread
    270 yanagi
    180 deba

there's overlap for me in a 330 yanagi, a 210 deba, and a 210 single bevel knife that's super fun to use when butchering.

I would probably do a minimalist kit of:

135-150 honesuki
    210 line
    210 deba or 240 mioroshi
    270 workhorse gyuto
    300 suji
    300 yanagi

house bread/paring

I was actually thinking about this this morning. Right now, because of the way I've purchased things over the years I carry too many knives. I realized I could cut it down to:
    210 Suji
    240 heavier gyuto
    270 Lasery gyuto
    300 Suji
    210 deba

And never want anything else.

But I carry a lot of spoons and other misc crap with me too

5 in boning knife
    300 suji
    240 gyuto
    270 gyuto heavier
    8 in breaking knife
    6 in boning knife flexible
    12 in scimitar
    All normal people love meat. If I went to a barbeque and there was no meat, I would say 'Yo Goober! Where's the meat?'.- Homer Simpson

So far, all knives listed would fit comfortably in the imagined roll, keep them inputs coming.
    I am going to ask a question regarding a heavy chef's size in the Heavy Chef's Knife thread here

Thanks,

M

225 slicing cleaver
    240 suji
    150 honesuki
    240 western deba
    260 bread

I am going to spice this topic a bit and ask what else would you consider to be essential in your roll - spoons, peelers, spatulas, etc. Preferably one of the type and size.

Most custom leather knife rolls seems to have slots for knives only. It would make sense to make a section for accessories.

M