Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ferrule to handle attachment

Quote Originally Posted by richinva View Post
    Gotcha.

I'm thinking of just boring it out about 3/4", leave the rest. That should be adequate glue surface for the epoxy.

Great, I'll take a run at this when I get home.
    3/4" deep you mean? If so that would work. You need enough surface on the dowel to keep the pressures in cutting from 'pulling' the ferrule off over the dowel. My first petty had a bit too short of a tang, and the ferrule was small. this meant that the dowel only went about 1/4" into the ferrule. It took a few months, but I was cutting with it one day and the ferrule just separated from the handle causing the knife to come loose. I fixed it by welding the tang a bit longer and just reattaching everything...but I have since corrected the entire issue by simply making the ferrules longer and making sure I bore them out deep enough.

yes, 3/4" deep, backbored, so to speak. I'll try to leave about 1/4" at the tang hole, so whatever is left...............

Not sure it will help specifically with the questions in this thread, but there's a handle photo tutorial in the show your work forum that shows one method for the handle process. There are tons of different approaches that work for handle assembly, and suspect we all have invented our own variations, but it's helpful to see other's processes .... #Richinva - you may want to check it out for some ideas.

i use a full length dowel, minus 1/4 at the ferrule ans i leave a bit more meat at the butt i use a mini mill to match the tang slot to the point of initial fit is hammered on. i have a full wip i did on this i will post.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Davis View Post
    i use a full length dowel, minus 1/4 at the ferrule ans i leave a bit more meat at the butt i use a mini mill to match the tang slot to the point of initial fit is hammered on. i have a full wip i did on this i will post.
    I would love to see that Mike! That sounds pretty much like how I do it...less the hammering. I have nightmares about exploding ferrules lol. I would absolutely like to close up the gap on my ferrules though, at least by a small amount, so I'm definitely interested in seeing the method you're using.