Suisin INOX Honyaki vs Shigefusa Kasumi Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amused

Reaction score
Hi KKF,
I'm looking for more info on these 2 gyutos, specifically how they stack against each other in the real world. I know they're different animals, the Suisin being made of Sandvik 19c27 and the Shigefusa Swedish carbon, but beyond that, how do they compare on bench stones, their edge retention, any issues with wedging, ease of maintenance (edge), best suited for?

Thanks.

i too have been thinking about jumping to this price level, would love to hear a comparison.

I hate the word INOX, it's not really even a full word, so from this two I would go with Shig :D I hope you are not taking this seriously.

There are guys here that know a lot more about these two than me....but other than being gyutos, there aren't many comparison points between the two...Kinda like comparing a pen and a pencil: they both write, but that's near the end of the similarities.

I have the SIH, and continue to be extremely happy with it. It was my second jKnife, following the Masamoto VG. Very thin (at the time, it was near the top of the lazers in thinness), superb F+F (the handle on this thing continues to impress me as I see other knives), moderately easy to sharpen, good edge retention, easy to work with for a couple of hours (of busy home use, say enough produce for 10ish gallons of gumbo).

I've not used a Shig, only handled a couple of them.

The Suisin is a very light knife while the Shig is much more substantial and more blade heavy. Both are very easy to sharpen and both retain that edge fairly well. The Suisin is a true laser and moves through food as such while the Shig cuts very well and releases food a bit better. I've owned both but prefer the Shig. They are both exceptional knives but very much different animals.
Fit and finish on both is exceptional.

The Suisin is a very light knife while the Shig is much more substantial and more blade heavy. Both are very easy to sharpen and both retain that edge fairly well. The Suisin is a true laser and moves through food as such while the Shig cuts very well and releases food a bit better...They are both exceptional knives but very much different animals.
Fit and finish on both is exceptional.
+1. I'll add that while they both take nice edges, the Shig will get absolutely screaming sharp and stay close to that sharpness longer. It will also take and hold exceedingly fine edges well. The Suisin will keep a "useable" edge longer under most conditions and benefits greatly from a microbevel.

You should probably own one of each. I wish I did!
I've used both extensively and they're both so good!
tk and chinacats are spot-on.

suisins steel and tilmans niolox are my 2 favorite stainless to use and sharpen. comparing profiles, i think the shig and suisin both have rather nice ones although they are pretty different. shig kanji is super awesome to look at while suisin is just stamped or screened on or whatever. the suisin handle is the nicest "factory" handle i can think of, while it is pretty large compared to most wa handles. shig ho wood is very nice to, nicer than most ho wood handles. shig steel is really nice carbon steel to use and a joy to sharpen, but it would easily lose in a edge retention test. and the cladding is pretty reactive too. ive never owned a shig but i borrowed one for a bit, i sold my suisin a while back and i kind of regret it,except for that maci gap, i never could adjust my grip properly to account for the gap. which i will concede was user error on my part.

I think I'm more interested in the Shigefusa at the moment. If there was 1 thing that tips if for the Shig over the Suisin, what would it be?

Back