Quantcast
How many gyuto?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many gyuto?

How many gyuto?

No, not how many do you own, but do you use more than one as part of your regular kit, be it home or work. The reason I ask is that I was looking at Marko's essential knives thread and saw it was pretty common to use a combination of chef knives, which kind of surprised me. What is the thinking, and how do you come up with a pair? In other words, what do you look for in each?

Lots of pros will have 210's for the line(due to lack of space during service), and longer gyutos for destroying prep. I like having a laser for fast julienne/dice. And a workhorse for the rest of my prep.
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

I have a 210, 240 and 270 at work pretty much all the time or an 8", 10" and 12" depending on if I'm working vintage or custom that week. I have a paring knife, birds beak and a little utility/honesuki thing that I use to clean strip steaks and such.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

I use a 210, 2x 240, and 1 to 2 270 at the bare minimum at work.

minimalist here, 1 240 that's it

2x 240's and 1x 270 in my work kit, thinking of adding a 180 or 210 gyuto shortly.

I don't think you guys read the opening post...
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

I typically keep a 240 and either 270 or 300 in my work kit. Really, it's just a matter of what's jazzing me at any given time. More often than not, I keep a laser 240 and the longer blade is a bit beefier.

I have a stainless 210 for when a carbon gyuto can be a pain. I have a laser for speed work and a workhorse for the heavy lifting stuff both in 240. A 270 for times when I really want to go through a load quickly but mostly for shits and giggles.

1 @ 210 (laser), 1@ 270. Will add a 240 if I feel I'm going to work in tight quarters.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter