Quantcast
Wa Handle WIP (PIC HEAVY) - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wa Handle WIP (PIC HEAVY)

Looks good to me, a lot of steps are very similar to what I do. If anything, you may be working more precisely by marking the handles in more detail. For example, I start the octagon sides by using a 45* tilted table of on a little jig on a band saw and then finish them on the belt, relying on hand-eye coordination with the emphasis on them looking and feeling right over being mathematically exact. I also usually sand a bit higher if I have metal pieces in there to make sure they are nice and polished. I used to sand pretty much everything to 1200 grit ot higher, but unless you have metal or bakelite etc. in there, you won't hardly notice a difference after buffing it.

One question to clarify (and that may be in the next pictures): do you use the burning to shape the tang slot or do you actually then also burn in the tang when everything is finished. For that I would assume the slot should be narrower than the tang so that it holds on to it.

Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    One question to clarify (and that may be in the next pictures): do you use the burning to shape the tang slot or do you actually then also burn in the tang when everything is finished. For that I would assume the slot should be narrower than the tang so that it holds on to it.
    I perform the first burn in with a tang blank I made. I only have put handles on my own knives...and all my tangs are basically the same, with the main difference being length. I clamp my tang blank in a vice set to the depth of my intended knife's tang, heat it to almost orange...and burn the handle in on it. I do this early in the rough shaping stages as indicated. At this point the actual knife itself still needs burned in...there are always variances in the tang blank and the actual tang...plus I use the second burn in to properly position the blade to the handle. If the blade is slightly crooked, I can adjust this. If the blade is clocked improperly spine to edge, I can fix that too. Because of this the tang slot never ends up square to the blade, and is invariably filled with epoxy on final fitment of the blade.

As I get more of these under my belt...I'm sure the slots will get closer. I've seen so many pictures of knives with wide open slots, burned in slots with charred wood still visible, slots packed with wax...etc, that I didn't think this was overly critical. And while I'd like it to be tighter (and I'm sure it will get there), for now its most important to me that the handle is properly mounted.
    I try to be the man I am..in times of broken lives. Shattered dreams and plans..standing up to fight. Pressures and demands..staring at the knife. Holding in your hands..

i always wanted to give it a try myself. still i am scared of wasting the wood blocks i have a t home... at the age of 36 i still remember the old days back in school when we did some wood work, and, to be polite, i wasn't the most talented one in my class...

i have access to all the machinery (my uncle was a carpenter, still has his workshop), and this thread is a good start. as i have been told, good preparation is essential. i will see if i dare giving it a try...

Thanks for shairing Chris. Great handwork!
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

Really appreciate a good wip. I'm sure this will be referenced many times in the future.
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Cris awesome tutorial, this really goes much farther than anything I've seen or found. Appreciate your contribution of knowledge here

Thank you everyone! I'm really grateful to Dave for giving me permission to post this as my WIP. As I said, I know this probably isn't the 'best' way...but I'd have very much appreciated seeing a whole 'complete' way when I started, lol...best or not. Hopefully this at least fills that gap.

Quote Originally Posted by daddy yo yo View Post
    i always wanted to give it a try myself. still i am scared of wasting the wood blocks i have a t home... at the age of 36 i still remember the old days back in school when we did some wood work, and, to be polite, i wasn't the most talented one in my class...

i have access to all the machinery (my uncle was a carpenter, still has his workshop), and this thread is a good start. as i have been told, good preparation is essential. i will see if i dare giving it a try...
    The first time I tried my method I used 2x4's and a piece of copper water pipe so as not to waste any good materials, lol. While its not a traditional 'wa handle' in shape...it was made with the same method of construction that I'm currently using, for the purpose of making the handles I'm making now. Now it just sits on my shop bench lol, but it served its purpose admirably =p. In this picture its on a 200ish gyuto I made for my Dad for Father's Day. What I consider my first kitchen knife.

The point of this picture is that wooden dowels are a couple bucks at Home Depot, and 2x4's are free on virtually any construction site on the planet. If you use copper water pipe as a practice spacer, make sure its soft copper...in my experience hard copper is too much of a bear to get flat. That said...for practice any flat sheetmetal will serve. Aluminum kick panels would make a great practice material.

Good luck!...and be sure to post your work for us .
    I try to be the man I am..in times of broken lives. Shattered dreams and plans..standing up to fight. Pressures and demands..staring at the knife. Holding in your hands..

Cris I actually very much like the handle in that picture. That's a really freakin awesome shape and I think you should use that for some of your others. Even the grain and contrast on it is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Nguyen View Post
    Cris I actually very much like the handle in that picture. That's a really freakin awesome shape and I think you should use that for some of your others. Even the grain and contrast on it is awesome.
    Thanks Don! I've thought about it...sort of an 'East meets West' thing lol. It's actually more difficult to pull off than an actual wa handle, as you can't just blow the facets out.

I may try it out here shortly though .

I thought that handle was brilliant! thanks for sharing all this Cris.

+ Reply to Thread