Quantcast
Wa Handle WIP (PIC HEAVY) - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wa Handle WIP (PIC HEAVY)

Quote Originally Posted by CrisAnderson27 View Post
    Thanks Don! I've thought about it...sort of an 'East meets West' thing lol. It's actually more difficult to pull off than an actual wa handle, as you can't just blow the facets out.

I may try it out here shortly though .
    I think the most striking thing about the handle is that it flows with your style of knife better than a traditional octagon. Your blades have long, accentuated curves, and the straight cuts on traditional handles kind of breaks the rhythm. I always thought there was something a little "off" about your long choils but man that slight change in the handle complements it completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Nguyen View Post
    I think the most striking thing about the handle is that it flows with your style of knife better than a traditional octagon. Your blades have long, accentuated curves, and the straight cuts on traditional handles kind of breaks the rhythm. I always thought there was something a little "off" about your long choils but man that slight change in the handle complements it completely.
    I agree there. When I first drew these knives up (before I knew a damn thing about kitchen knives lol)...they were conceptually based off of my EDC knife. The curve of the butt was almost 'shotgun' shaped. I doubt it would work for a real professional knife...but the little pine handle might.
    I try to be the man I am..in times of broken lives. Shattered dreams and plans..standing up to fight. Pressures and demands..staring at the knife. Holding in your hands..

Thanks for the wip!

Nice work Cris, thanks for sharing your process.
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

Very nice work!

That is awesome.
    "Sucking at something is the first step to becoming sorta good at something." -Jake the Dog

Dumb question, perhaps: You said you use a DMT plate to "surface" the ferrule and spacers before gluing them all together. I can see how a plate would get things flat, but I don't see how it would get one side parallel or true to the other side. So (to overstate the case) you could end end with a wedge-shaped spacer that was quite flat on each side. Could you elaborate a little on surfacing?

Quote Originally Posted by cord_steele View Post
    Dumb question, perhaps: You said you use a DMT plate to "surface" the ferrule and spacers before gluing them all together. I can see how a plate would get things flat, but I don't see how it would get one side parallel or true to the other side. So (to overstate the case) you could end end with a wedge-shaped spacer that was quite flat on each side. Could you elaborate a little on surfacing?
    I simply use calipers and finger pressure to keep things even...and as you said, the plate keeps it flat.
    I try to be the man I am..in times of broken lives. Shattered dreams and plans..standing up to fight. Pressures and demands..staring at the knife. Holding in your hands..

Thanks for This . I make mine almost the same way but I predrill and then shape the tang slot in the ferrule using small files before glue up to get a tighter fit . What I do get frustrated with is filling the handle with epoxy without getting it everywhere. The best method I have come up with to date is to fill a large syringe and fill with the handle sitting vertically . Have you got a preferred method for final glue up?

I've wondered how it was done, it looks like you have a good system. How many hours does it take you to finish a handle? Especially curious how long the first took compared to this one.

Thanks for taking the time to share, the photos were a big help!

+ Reply to Thread