kitchen knife = tin opener?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minicooper123

Reaction score
What is the most stupid thing that your knife has ever been used for?

A short time ago I came home to find that my wusthof kitchen knife albeit an old workhorse had been used to open a tin of spaghetti by one of my housemates. With all the evidence sitting on the bench. Granted we don't have a tin opener in our house, but comeon...

A while ago someone mentioned in the old forums that a coworker used his Hattori KD to open a can... If that lessens your pain a bit..

i guy at work grabbed my tanaka ironwood and started hacking lobsters in half and gave it bunch of micro chips

Hattori KD on a can would pretty much make me consider commuting murder. If you are that dumb to use a thousands of dollars knife instead of a can opener than you have other problems.

Please reconsider having roommates if you can afford a KD.

Correction. Roommates or coworkers. Either could be inconsiderate of your irreplaceable tools

Where I work the chefs use the oyster knives to crack a hole in the big oil cans. Did not know this before I had lent my oyster knife to a colleague and he broke the tip of it. One of the reasons I always keep my knives away from my colleagues. :)

I once handed a knife I had just finished sharpening to the owner, and they proceeded to show me their cutting technique on the stainless bench -_-

None of those knives were mine, but:

Oyster knife in the place of a scewdriver is one i've seen a couple of times, I once saw a chef take apart and service a kitchenaid with nothing but his beaten messermeister boning knife and - this is my favourite one - saw a chef chip the heck out of a yanagi at a xmas party cutting up and forming lines of drugs on a marble bench, he thought he was being badass - i thought he looked kind of silly. :slaphead:

Last edited:
The classic - a kitchen knife used as screwdriver
A kitchen knife used as a fork

Non kitchen knifes used as pretty much anything, sometimes the folder is the only tool you have.

None of those knives were mine, but:

Oyster knife in the place of a scewdriver is one i've seen a couple of times, I once saw a chef take apart and service a kitchenaid with nothing but his beaten messermeister boning knife and - this is my favourite one - saw a chef chip the heck out of a yanagi at a xmas party cutting up and forming lines of drugs on a marble bench, he thought he was being badass - i thought he looked kind of silly. :slaphead:

WOW :eek2:

Seen Flay use one as a can opener many times. Probably soft German steel that can be restored without too much of a hassle, but it still makes me cringe. Had a friend who was using my Takeda suji to slice lobster tails suddenly grab one still in the shell and proceed to crack it. Gave it two buick bashes (I was already yelling Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!) before the second bash. Put two chips in the edge and also torqued the blade so it is now a little twisted :( I need to send it to one of the pros to get it fixed right. My wifes brother cut his hand badly last year using a kitchen knife while trying to fix his car... Did not cut it bad enough to win a Darwin Award, though.

Back