Quantcast
Need strop advice - Page 2
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Need strop advice

Slide your fingers? I'm talking scary sharp, any movement up or down would unquestionaly produce blood, just the movement of actually touching the cutting edge is enough to leave a mark. If the edge is keen and I can move my fingers up or down the blade, then I grabe the ceramic rod cause the blade doesn't have enough bite. I like a toothy but refined edge.

Quote Originally Posted by harlock0083 View Post
    Just don't slide your fingers up and down too much on the edge.....
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

Quote Originally Posted by Mucho Bocho View Post
    Smooth bovine leather loaded w/ 1u diamond spray (I use HA brand) will bring a properly sharpened edge into scary sharp category.

I'm a very active and passionate home cook and insist that my knives are scary sharp at all times. So I usually strop before each cutting task, sometime inbetween tasks. Im a freak but if my knives slide at all when stroking a ripe tomato skin, then it gets stropped. I like my edges sticky with three finger test and very quietly push cut paper.

When stroppping alone fails bring it back that sharp edge, I run the edge over a HA Brand 1200 ceramic rod, then strop on loaded leather. When that ceases to bring the edge back, I strop on take out my highest grit stone (takenono 8K), then back to loaded leather. Sometimes my fingers shake before touching the blade cause they know better. Yep
    Slide your fingers? I'm talking scary sharp, any movement up or down would unquestionaly produce blood, just the movement of actually touching the cutting edge is enough to leave a mark. If the edge is keen and I can move my fingers up or down the blade, then I grabe the ceramic rod cause the blade doesn't have enough bite. I like a toothy but refined edge.
    What is your sharpening process prior to the strop? I've cut myself pretty bloodily being only slightly careless with my edges...but with light pressure I can certainly run my three fingers down them.

Scary sharp is good .
    [B][I]I try to be the man I am..in times of broken lives. Shattered dreams and plans..standing up to fight. Pressures and demands..staring at the knife. Holding in your hands..[/I][/B]

Sorry, I was being sarcastic. I've cut myself enough times now.

Cris, I saw that photo of you bloody mits last week, good one! Seriously, I hope it wasn't too deep, but somethinbg tell me this isn't the first time you've been bitten by a blade.

I have only been free-hand sharpeing for about six months now. I have a:

400 Naniwa Super Stone
    1200 Bester
    5k Rika
    8K takenono
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

Cris, I saw that photo of you bloody mits last week, good one! Seriously, I hope it wasn't too deep, but somethinbg tell me this isn't the first time you've been bitten by a blade.

I have only been free-hand sharpeing for about six months now. I have a:

400 Naniwa Super Stone
    1200 Bester
    5k Rika
    8K takenono
    Nice! Prior to these kitchen knives...everything was sharpened on belts. I can get a crazy sharp edge on pretty much everything I make with belts, except kitchen knives. The edge is just too thin and the chance of burning it is too great...particularly near the tips. Soooo, I started freehand with diamond plates, and then Murray gave me his King 1000 and 6000 a couple weeks ago. I then finish off with the balsa strops.

Lol, it wasn't too deep, but man did it bleed! And you're right...definitely not the first time !
    [B][I]I try to be the man I am..in times of broken lives. Shattered dreams and plans..standing up to fight. Pressures and demands..staring at the knife. Holding in your hands..[/I][/B]

Thanks for all the feedback, where are you guys buying diamond spray and CrO?

Yes, you can strop unloaded (as long as your stropping medium has silica in it).

It sounds like you're equating stropping = abrading with a strop. You can strop unloaded leather, wood, denim, etc, but it serves a different purpose.

When I started out sharpening, I found stropping on 1u CBN gave me a sharper edge than from stones alone. It was like using a very forgiving 8k stone, cleaning up my imperfect technique and cutting an even but slightly rounded edge. That's the trade-off, and I've found that as I get better at sharpening, the loaded strop reaches a point of diminishing returns.

I just started stropping unloaded on horsebutt, which helps with burr removal between my low and high stones. I've heard if you strop only one side with pressure, it can reveal a wire edge, which makes sense but I haven't tried it. I've also heard it can improve an edge after your highest stone, but that seems a bit voodoo-ish to me, unless you still have residual burr maybe?

I'm curious how others use an unloaded strop, since I don't have much experience with it yet myself.

Quote Originally Posted by spaceconvoy View Post

It sounds like you're equating stropping = abrading with a strop. You can strop unloaded leather, wood, denim, etc, but it serves a different purpose.

When I started out sharpening, I found stropping on 1u CBN gave me a sharper edge than from stones alone. It was like using a very forgiving 8k stone, cleaning up my imperfect technique and cutting an even but slightly rounded edge. That's the trade-off, and I've found that as I get better at sharpening, the loaded strop reaches a point of diminishing returns.

I just started stropping unloaded on horsebutt, which helps with burr removal between my low and high stones. I've heard if you strop only one side with pressure, it can reveal a wire edge, which makes sense but I haven't tried it. I've also heard it can improve an edge after your highest stone, but that seems a bit voodoo-ish to me, unless you still have residual burr maybe?

I'm curious how others use an unloaded strop, since I don't have much experience with it yet myself.
    I'm confused on why you're confused....

Quote Originally Posted by ar11 View Post
    Thanks for all the feedback, where are you guys buying diamond spray and CrO?
    I'll pm you the website I used.

I'm confused on why you're confused....
    Oh, I think I see... you meant literally anything containing silica? Like an orange?? I guess with the right technique you could strop on an orange