Quantcast
Need strop advice - Page 3
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Need strop advice

When I strop it is mainly on diamond loaded felt or Gesshin 5k. I buy diamond juice from here.
    one man gathers what another man spills...

Quote Originally Posted by chinacats View Post
    When I strop it is mainly on diamond loaded felt or Gesshin 5k. I buy diamond juice from here.
    Neat site.

Spacecowboy: Yes, I meant you can strop on any material containing silica whether the material is a good choice for stropping is another matter entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by chinacats View Post
    Serendipity! I've been looking for that site, hard to remember such a generic name... IIRC, the compound is oil based and slurry is some sort of alcohol? Which grit do you like?

Quote Originally Posted by spaceconvoy View Post
    Serendipity! I've been looking for that site, hard to remember such a generic name... IIRC, the compound is oil based and slurry is some sort of alcohol? Which grit do you like?
    I buy the slurry in 1 micron and heavy concentration. Thinking next time of ordering both the 1 micron and the next smaller size down (~.25u) and mixing them. Prices seem much more reasonable then pre-packaged sprays. They are very helpful if you call with questions--I did the first time I ordered and was very satisfied with their help/answers/service. They also sell rouge and aluminum oxide though I haven't tried either.
    The bottles don't have a spray attachment so I bought some good/inexpensive spray bottles from the bay that have worked very well.
    one man gathers what another man spills...

Ok so I did some testing last night with a range of different strop. I had three knives that were sharp ( do push cut paper tricks, shave hair, somewhat sticky 3 finger test) but if I slide the over blade over shoulder of a ripe tomato with the lightest touch possible, they would slip off and not grab. I worked on knives made of stainless steel, blue #2 and white #2 knives.

Here is my finding:

1u Boron Carbide on Balsa:
    Nice feeling, good feedback and easy to control stropping speed.
    Refined the existing teeth but didn't entirely polish them so there was still a little stickiness to the blade, just a little more slippery than I like.
    Left some paste residue on the blade
    Made the primary bevel super shiny
    After three passes on each side. I was not able to get the edge to bite the tomato, just slip sliding at most points on the blade. Made three attempts

Dry Takenono 8K polishing stone (JKS)
    Stropped with light but moderate pressure across a completely dry stone. I've been having a hard time achieving scary sharpness on my MAC 7" Flexy Filet lately. Crazy thin maybe 0.5mm. When I ran it over the Takenoko three passes on each side and 3Finger tested I almost, pissed and cut myself at the same time.
    Really nice feeling, not too gritty or scratchy
    the primary was not polished as much as the Boron
    Grabbed the tomato skin without hesitation after three passes per side.

Bovine located 1u Diamond spray
    This has been my final step in sharpening for years now. Its one of the few things I can usually count on to improve my edge (refinement, ultra keenness, bite immediately)
    Great feel once you used the leather a few times. Good feedback and easy to control stropping speed.
    Light strokes, few passes give a toothy.
    This has been my tried and true finisher that always delivers tomato biting bladed if applied to an edge off a high grit stone.
    Beautiful, sparkly primary bevel

Hard felt loaded with 1u Diamond spray.
    I don't like the feel. Its spongy and hard to hold an angle cause the pad changes depending on how much pressure you poly.
    Found it hard to really get the tip right.
    Was not able to produce a tomato biting edge and I think it actually rounded the primary B that I could not correct even with using the Tatenono.
    I know guys are very fond of loaded felt. Perhaps just don't have the technique of it. Those that are fond of this method, please share with me your approach.

I'm convinced that you could strop white #2 with water and improve the edge. White get redic
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

I strop on newspaper our local rag has to be good for something,that & sailing knives thru it to check sharpness.Newspaper is also a good way to store oiled carbon blades.

I also strop on a large homemade 16" x4" cowhide glued to wood.I use Adam's #2 polish,years ago bought a 16oz bottle still have alot left.Clean the leather wt. Blue Goop.After years of use,strop still in great shape wt. only a few small nicks in the leather.

I like the Adams it cleans up & puts a nice polish on the edge.When I sharpen others knives easy finishing step.When you have a sharp edge off your stones,strop use is a lite touch,not good to push too hard into the leather as it can slightly round your crisp edge.Just like stone burr removal it's a very lite touch.

Quote Originally Posted by Mucho Bocho View Post
    Hard felt loaded with 1u Diamond spray.
    I don't like the feel. Its spongy and hard to hold an angle cause the pad changes depending on how much pressure you poly.
    Found it hard to really get the tip right.
    Was not able to produce a tomato biting edge and I think it actually rounded the primary B that I could not correct even with using the Tatenono.
    I know guys are very fond of loaded felt. Perhaps just don't have the technique of it. Those that are fond of this method, please share with me your approach.
    This has been my exact experience with felt. The tip is awkward (it seems to bite into the felt or get hooked up), the feedback is zero, and nothing ever got sharper. As you said maybe its my technique, but it just didn't work for me.

What's funny is I have a 1x30 felt belt loaded with chromium oxide that is awesome for removing the burr on more substantial edges than kitchen knives. I like it far more than the cork belts I've tried.
    [B][I]I try to be the man I am..in times of broken lives. Shattered dreams and plans..standing up to fight. Pressures and demands..staring at the knife. Holding in your hands..[/I][/B]

I was going to try Advanced ABrasives (http://store.advancedabrasives.com/) insanely good prices...

Quote Originally Posted by gic View Post
    I was going to try Advanced ABrasives (http://store.advancedabrasives.com/) insanely good prices...
    Wow...nice selection. I wonder what the differences between slurry and suspension are? Then MDP, RDP, and PDP lol. The PDP is PRICEY. RDP cheapest, with MDP being middle of the road.

I made my own sprays from a paste (the paste was less expensive by a large margin) by mixing it with turpentine. It works perfectly and I have tons left...but it would be nice not to have to do that lol.
    [B][I]I try to be the man I am..in times of broken lives. Shattered dreams and plans..standing up to fight. Pressures and demands..staring at the knife. Holding in your hands..[/I][/B]

Wow...nice selection. I wonder what the differences between slurry and suspension are?
    From my understanding Slurry is a liquid while Suspension is like a gel.