Quantcast
Need strop advice - Page 7
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Need strop advice

Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    Doubt it, you probably got a p.o.s. One.. Quality control issues maybe

Keith is always changing up his stuff so who knows what he got.

So I wanted to just post a little update. Last night I refreshed the edges of five or six knives of various steels. I'm at a point that stropping them with diamond/leather was starting to polish the teeth. So I stropped them on Dave's Takenoko 8K stone un soaked and dry (probably other high grit stone would work too) and it brough them right back to toothy but keen after a few strokes. it be honest, I think it created more bite than my 1200 HA ceramic rod. I know that likely I'll have to drop down lower maybe to my Rika next session, just wanted to share my results.

Also, I picked up one of Dave's hard felt strops. As noted I've been unsucessful to improve my edges with the diamond/felt strop I currently have from CKTG. When I get Dave's I'll post my findings.

Anyone have success stropping on un-loaded felt? How long does the pad last?
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

Reviving this thread... Anyone know of a good place to buy these PDP/MDP sprays/suspensions/slurry in the UK, or Europe ? Somewhere where I won't need to buy it by the litres..
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by liren1 View Post
    Reviving this thread... Anyone know of a good place to buy these PDP/MDP sprays/suspensions/slurry in the UK, or Europe ? Somewhere where I won't need to buy it by the litres..
    Thanks
    Try the strop shop (not sure links are allowed here) or the invisible edge.

Good luck

Well, I couldn't find anything in the invisible edge, and the strop shop has monocrystalline diamond from 1 micron and down, couldn't see any PDP, or anything above 1 micron. I'll give them a call.
    Typing in google "polycrystalline diamond suspension uk" yields some company names, it seems though these also sell in large quantities, like 250-400ml and up.

Well, I couldn't find anything in the invisible edge, and the strop shop has monocrystalline diamond from 1 micron and down, couldn't see any PDP, or anything above 1 micron. I'll give them a call.
    Typing in google "polycrystalline diamond suspension uk" yields some company names, it seems though these also sell in large quantities, like 250-400ml and up.
    250 ml should be a good size
    one man gathers what another man spills...

http://www.theinvisibleedge.co.uk/in...eproducts.html and scroll a bit down.

What are you looking for, pdp only, particular sizes? It isn't very clear from your question

Good question, I'm not sure what I want..
    invisible edge - ah, they've got paste.
    Having read this long and interesting thread I understood that the best for kitchen knives is PDP suspension or slurry, hence my question.
    If I'm wrong of course then please correct me...
    I was thinking of getting maybe 3 microns and 1 micron, perhaps one other.

The reason I'm also looking at somewhat less refined/higher micron products, is because I was told I could put a bit of it on my edge pro stones and it helps sharpening 'harder to sharpen knives', like Blazen, which I'm having some trouble with, at least I need more time for it..
    If this is not true then I'm willing to stand corrected on that also...

I don't know anything about an edge pro but if you need to load your stones then you either need different stones or a different knife.
    one man gathers what another man spills...

Well - I got the Shapton Glass, which I understand are the best for EP
    Blazen - not going to replace that...

Could be Edge Pro specific problem, I do manage to get a reasonably good edge, it's just damned hard and time consuming... the PDP is not crucial for this, I just thought it would help.