Quantcast
Need strop advice - Page 8
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Need strop advice

Be careful not to fall into the trap set by the guys who cut and sell those EP stones. They've made a whole market out of talking lots of BS. The thing is that you don't need an EP, nor the expensive special stones they cut, nor special compounds to spray on the special stones when the special stones don't work....it's all a marketing ploy that's being propelled by new/ inexperienced sharpeners or retailers of said products.

So the subject of this thread is about treating strops with compounds, if you're looking for advice on how to treat stones with compounds you'll have to go back to those guys I was just talking about as that sort of crap isn't discussed here.

Sorry to be so blunt but I get riled up when it comes to certain subjects. I mean you (liren1) no ill will. Good luck with your search regardless.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    Be careful not to fall into the trap set by the guys who cut and sell those EP stones. They've made a whole market out of talking lots of BS. The thing is that you don't need an EP, nor the expensive special stones they cut, nor special compounds to spray on the special stones when the special stones don't work....it's all a marketing ploy that's being propelled by new/ inexperienced sharpeners or retailers of said products.

So the subject of this thread is about treating strops with compounds, if you're looking for advice on how to treat stones with compounds you'll have to go back to those guys I was just talking about as that sort of crap isn't discussed here.

Sorry to be so blunt but I get riled up when it comes to certain subjects. I mean you (liren1) no ill will. Good luck with your search regardless.

Dave
    I was told this by another user, completely non related to the guys selling the stuff, maybe he's fallen into this trap and has dragged me with him
    For several reasons, for now, I'm using Edge Pro, Free Hand sharpening I will take on one day..
    You're the expert, so I will take your advise at face value and drop my search for higher grit comound for the stones and concentrate on the strops.

So I'm still asking after reading the thread, it's still not clear to me if PDP is best for this, or MDP or makes no huge difference whatsoever ? The latter is more easily available here than the former, hence my question.

Quote Originally Posted by liren1 View Post
    Well - I got the Shapton Glass, which I understand are the best for EP
    Blazen - not going to replace that...

Could be Edge Pro specific problem, I do manage to get a reasonably good edge, it's just damned hard and time consuming... the PDP is not crucial for this, I just thought it would help.
    I found the Edge Pro to be excruciatingly slow and time consuming for just about every sharpening job. Free hand is much faster and efficient.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post

Dave
    I was told this by another user, completely non related to the guys selling the stuff, maybe he's fallen into this trap and has dragged me with him
    For several reasons, for now, I'm using Edge Pro, Free Hand sharpening I will take on one day..
    You're the expert, so I will take your advise at face value and drop my search for higher grit comound for the stones and concentrate on the strops.

So I'm still asking after reading the thread, it's still not clear to me if PDP is best for this, or MDP or makes no huge difference whatsoever ? The latter is more easily available here than the former, hence my question.

Generally speaking either PDP or MDP will work fine. It's only when you get into splitting hairs do you start to notice the differences and even then it's not so easy to say one is better than the other. Sometimes you just have to test for yourself as each specific brand/line/type/concentration/etc can work differently for different knives.

The reason I'm also looking at somewhat less refined/higher micron products, is because I was told I could put a bit of it on my edge pro stones and it helps sharpening 'harder to sharpen knives', like Blazen, which I'm having some trouble with, at least I need more time for it..
    If this is not true then I'm willing to stand corrected on that also...
    The only person I know of that says this is Ken Schwartz, he says it because he sells very expensive products for you to do it with. It may well work but I'm sure Ken is looking for a sale when makes the recommendation to load the stones with extra abrasive.

ETA: There are a few guys that have drank his Kool-Aid and it runs deep in them who parrot his phooy-balooy. The source is Ken though.

Experiementation is the key. For the life of me, I can't get diamond loaded felt strops to improve my edges. I have both Dave's and the other guy's felt strops. I will say that I like the feel of Dave's better.

My experience with Strops
    Bovine/Diamond--Killer
    Naked Horse--ultra fine
    Balsa/Cromium--toothy not as refined
    Felt/Diamond--Nada but a shiny edge and a dusty blade
    Naked Dry Takenono (Dave's)--Crazy bitty and keen after only a few passes. Best before naked horse.

But when I used to use the edge pro, I would put 1u diamond spray on a dry Ozuku Tomae mounted on the EP blank and it left a brilliantly bitty, clean ultra keen edge.
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

The latest batch of felt strops from Dave are phenominal, use unloaded as its aggressive on its own. Its my favorite purchase of the year. Was a limited run, but he will probably bring more in with enough interest..

There are also different intentions for people when using strops. Some people are trying to refine their edge more, others are simply using the strop to clean up the edge and help remove residual burr. And then still you can use them to bring back or maintain an edge.

I like the way my edges feel when they come off the stones. I don't want them refined any more. I just want to clean them up a bit and make them last longer. So I just use hard felt and 1 micron diamond. I use an 8k DMT diamond plate or 6k JKI diamond stone to bring back or maintain my edge.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    Was a limited run, but he will probably bring more in with enough interest..
    uhhh....theres interest alright!

Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    I just lay it flat horizontally on prep table and use moderate pressure, unloaded. Angle of approach is that of higher than the edge, I'd guess 5-10deg more. Starting at the tip and sliding on a bias ending with heel.
    Little deff. than my tech.Main thing whatever works.I learned this from Dave & it has worked for me stropping many blades & it is how I teach it as well.Angle the spine until it just slightly bites the leather(I use Adams so it is a easy read)That is the strop angle,med lite pressure(too much can round your edge)As on the stones a steady spine is a must.At the end of the stroke,rock back & lift off the leather or lift 90% off,never roll at end of stroke as that too can round your edge.

+ Reply to Thread