Quantcast
Need strop advice - Page 9
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Need strop advice

Panda I am going to order some horsehide leather,I make my own strops,& try unloaded & your tech. always up for new stuff.

cool, maybe it will be in between leather/felt results??

Read over this thread, great info here. I am at a point where I have been sharpening on the stones for a short while now and getting fairly comfortable but realized that I really need a strop.

I have used newspaper before but I would like to establish a "real" strop to put in my kit. I know that I want a fixed strop, but using leather or felt or balsa is still on my mind.

Thinking i would be using a compound i bought the extra fine bar from amazon for 10 bucks (couldn't say no for a pound at this price) but I don't know if i will even use that over spray.

With that said, i just use my knives at home and want something for occasional use. I have a CN as my main knife, and a SS nakiri that i also use. I think something a bit more forgiving would be a good idea but I also think I could most styles and get comfortable with them too.

I plan on going to the craft store this week to get some materials and would love some guidance on what direction I should go. Thanks in advance for any help, cheers

Rich

not trying to annoy anyone....but bump for my last post above as I would love some advice

Well I have made a couple strops,just simple ones.Easy to get 3" wide strips of cowhide.3"X14" mounted on 1" thick wood. Leather to wood wt. Contact Cement.Ease the corners on wood wt.sanding before gluing.Seal wood wt. clear satin polyurethane.I like large strops also made a 3.5"X16".

Salty had a pretty cool thread about a 4 way strop that seemed pretty simple to make here. Seems pretty simple and sweet and you can put whatever you like on each side!
    one man gathers what another man spills...

Thanks for that, I must have overlooked that thread when I searched. I just watched it and was amazed....1/8th micron? good lord that must have had a stupid sharp edge on it. Cheers