• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

FS: Singatirin 240 mm honyaki gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdipisReks

Founding Member
Reaction score
After buying the Shig, my wife is giving me the stinkeye, so I should unload something. For sale is my heavily thinned and re-finished Singatirin honyaki gyuto. It's about 170 grams and 50mm at the heel (it was about 176 and 51, when I got it). It's quite a bit thinner at the edge, than new, and the tip is much thinner. It's always had kinda of a slightly weird grind, but it cuts really nicely. I've given it an even and utilitarian finish. This is made of V2 steel, holds a nice edge, and doesn't quickly discolor. It's also the thinnest and lightest honyaki gyuto I've ever held. The handle has been reduced on all sides, as it was too heavy for the light blade, in my opinion. I can't seem to get a decent picture of it in the light I have available right now, but I can take pictures as soon as I get home, tomorrow. $400, shipped. No saya included. This is a very right-handed knife.

After buying the Shig, my wife is giving me the sinkeye, so I should unload something. For sale is my heavily thinned and re-finished Singatirin honyaki gyuto. It's about 170 grams and 50mm at the heel (it was about 176 and 51, when I got it). It's quite a bit thinner at the edge, than new, and the tip is much thinner. It's always had kinda of a slightly weird grind, but it cuts really nicely. I've given it an even and utilitarian finish. The handle has been reduced on all sides, as it was too heavy for the light blade, in my opinion. I can't seem to get a decent picture of it in the light I have available right now, but I can take pictures as soon as I get home, tomorrow. $400, shipped. No saya included. This is a very right-handed knife.

I feel your pain, but GLWS.

Thanks!

I did manage to get a tip shot (ignore the water droplet, the knife hasn't grown a wart):
click to embiggen

I refinished this at the same time I did my Shigefusa, as shown in the handiworks forum (and taken in the last of the good light), and it has a similar finish.

If this doesn't sell, I won't cry. I would consider trades plus cash (taking my wife out for dinner would likely ameliorate the knife stand continuing to be full). Perhaps something Western handled, in a good stainless... Ryusen Blazen, Akifusa, that kind of thing. Something I could hand to a friend and not worry about them leaving it wet for a while. I'll also see if she won't do some product photography tomorrow (she's much better at that than I am).

I have been watching this post since it went up yesterday...never rocked a stoopit thin knife before....

I've actually kept the heel area reasonably robust, as this is a hard knife, and I like being able to do some rough work at the heel without chipping the crap out of my edge:

/ click to embiggen

It's thinner than it looks, just hard to capture the edge due to reflection on the choil, as I eased it quite a bit.

Shipped price is USA btw, forgot to put that, for international and/or distant, I would need additional shipping money.

I'm a little surprised you're putting this up. You put a lot of work into that sucker!

I'm kind of surprised this is still available...I thought mine was a great cutter and I'm sure yours is.

I tried this knife before it was "perfected" and it was already a really nice cutter. I'm sure it's excellent now.

Back