Takeda Sasanoha?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhenry

Reaction score

Hey Guys, There are some Takeda's on sale at Arizona Custom Knives being described as Sasanoha. Do you have any idea what kind of knife this is and its purpose.
Thanks

They look to be similar to the special batch he made for CKTG that had a shorter blade height.

found out that sasanoha means "bamboo leaf"...i don't know... kinda looks like it,right? what do you think? :scratchhead:

bamboo-leaves.jpg

19352.jpg

Are these knives fairly heavy in the front? I have a coworker that would love a knife JUST like that, but he wants it heavy. Where can I find this knife? I didn't see it on ACK.

Yanagi is willow leaf knife. So i am not surprised to see a bamboo leaf knife

Are these knives fairly heavy in the front? I have a coworker that would love a knife JUST like that, but he wants it heavy. Where can I find this knife? I didn't see it on ACK.

Jon Broida had some nice heavy slicers when I went up to see him. It would be worth your/your co-workers while to call him.

Pesky

That is going to look amazing! Beautiful wood. I'm not sure who I first saw using those fiber spacers, but they are really quite tasteful and make for a nice transition. Can't wait to see the finished handle!

Hi johndavid, it looks like Spalted Maple Burl for the body and Afzelia for the ferrule (also mentioned in an earlier post).
Thanks Spalted Maple Burl and Afzelia

In a wa handle there is no scale but rather a block. I'd keep an eye out at one of the wood vendors (BurlSource, Dream Burls, Artisan Woods, etc.) for similar offerings. Each piece can be unique and since this thread is over 5 years old it is unlikely you'll find something identical, although similar looking blocks have come up for sale from time to time.

Hi johndavid, it looks like Spalted Maple Burl for the body and Afzelia for the ferrule (also mentioned in an earlier post).

In a wa handle there is no scale but rather a block. I'd keep an eye out at one of the wood vendors (BurlSource, Dream Burls, Artisan Woods, etc.) for similar offerings. Each piece can be unique and since this thread is over 5 years old it is unlikely you'll find something identical, although similar looking blocks have come up for sale from time to time.

Thanks, will do. I have never made a knife handle before but am considering giving it a shot. Im looking for a belt sander. I'm assuming I need a lathe also?

Can you clarify the difference between a scale and a burl?

Thanks, will do. I have never made a knife handle before but am considering giving it a shot. Im looking for a belt sander. I'm assuming I need a lathe also?

Can you clarify the difference between a scale and a burl?

A lathe isn't necessary.

A drill press with enough spindle travel to drill a hole as deep as the tang of the knife is really nice to have, but can be pricey. If you don't have one with that capacity, you can always finish drilling the hole with a handheld.

A combination belt and disc sander is nice to have as well, though you can get by with just a belt sander.

Scales are the slabs of wood that are riveted or glued to the tang of a Western handled knife to make a handle.

Burl is a characteristic of wood. It is a rounded knotty growth on a tree, giving an attractive figure when polished. It is usually more expensive than straight grained wood.

Back