Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are kitchen knives getting more attention lately?

Are kitchen knives getting more attention lately?

Maybe it's just been my imagination, but it seems like more people are interested in upgrading to more high-end tools and learning to use+maintain them. Seems like more makers are trying out the kitchen stuff too.

I think it would be really neat to see the interest grow, but I haven't been familiar with this addiction long enough to tell. Thoughts?
    "Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Yes , interest is growing along with the prices

I think they are getting more attention. I think that the "Foodie" movement or whatever its called is helping too.

On a side note, it also baffles me that the vast majority of "knife guys" are not interested much in kitchen knives. I mean besides a pocket knife, what other type of knife do you get to enjoy using daily? I know my hunting knife gets pathetically little use

Quote Originally Posted by JMJones View Post
    I think they are getting more attention. I think that the "Foodie" movement or whatever its called is helping too.

On a side note, it also baffles me that the vast majority of "knife guys" are not interested much in kitchen knives. I mean besides a pocket knife, what other type of knife do you get to enjoy using daily? I know my hunting knife gets pathetically little use
    This.

Lot of "knife guys" use the pocket knife or variation of such daily as part of their work.
    Also you have a collector guy, that just hoards the knives of all type.
    In addition, I will assume that many knife guys do not cook on regular basis, so their interest and knowledge in kitchen cutlery is very limited to null.

I've not been into kitchen knives long, but it does seem like there's some interest building here. I've wondered if its the result of social media where people are sharing pics of stuff they own and getting others interested. I know the tactical folder community has gotten a lot of momentum thru instagram, youtube, etc.

As someone that has had interest in tactical folders for a long time, I'll say the kitchen knife community is only a fraction of what tac folder community. KKF is pretty much the best place I've found for kitchen cutlery, but it's a fraction of bladeforums and USN.

I'd really like to see kitchen knife interest take off, but here's the main barrier - the most confusing thing about Kitchen knives is lack of manufacturer knowledge. When I asked for knife recomendations people were throwing out different Japanese brands and I had no idea who they were. There is limited information on the web because most of it is in Japanese. Took me like 2 months of reading KKF to feel like I knew anything (and I'm still learning).

Folding knives most people know Spyderco, Benchmade, Kershaw, Buck, ZT, Emerson, etc. Kitchen knives most people know Henckels, Wustoff, and maybe Shun (none of which are recommended here usually). There needs to be a sticky that rates brands by relative tier. Like in folding knives you could easily say Kershaw (budget), ZT (midgrade), Chris Reeve (premium). Somebody needs to tell the noobies Tojiro (budget), Takeda (midgrade), Shigefusa (premium). This cloud of confusion is what allows brands like Richmond to be successful because all the uninformed consumers know are buzzwords like M390, Aogami Super, High Rc!

I think there is a growing interest in high end kitchen knives because more and more men are the main cooks at home, and you know how men love nice tools! My wife could care less about a nice knife but both my brothers love a good kitchen knife! We are all the main cooks in our homes. I know more men that can cook than women.

One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

Quote Originally Posted by bahamaroot View Post
    I think there is a growing interest in high end kitchen knives because more and more men are the main cooks at home, and you know how men love nice tools! My wife could care less about a nice knife but both my brothers love a good kitchen knife! We are all the main cooks in our homes. I know more men that can cook than women.
    I think evidence that women are less into knives is supported by the fact that this forum is probably 95%+ males.

Quote Originally Posted by bahamaroot View Post
    I know more men that can cook than women.
    As a single guy who's dating...you'd be shocked to the core at how true this statement really is! With the majority of the women I've dated in the last few years...if I'd have married them without knowing how to cook, I'd have starved to death lol.