Quantcast
Help me choose better beater knives
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me choose better beater knives

Help me choose better beater knives

I have my knives (Takeda, Heiji) and the family has theirs (Calphalon Classic Forged). This question is about theirs.

It bugs me seeing Made in China with German Steel every time I use one.
    It also bugs me that the bolster is huge and prevents me from sharpening the heel. I've sharpened them enough that there is a gap at the heel on a few of them.

So...I want to replace them.

Is there a general consensus on which German brand/line is most desirable?

I will take care of them as far as sharpening goes and pulling them out of the dishwasher when I see one in there. However, they will see granite and disposable thin plastic cutting surfaces most of the time. It's a battle I can't seem to win

I'll probably replace just the 8" chefs, boning, paring, and that serrated tomato/bagel thing unless I find a killer deal on a whole block from one of those big stores that always has coupons and clearances.

Thanks for sharing your opinion.

Victorinox, no bolster, not horrible to sharpen, not crazy thick, not too expensive... Try to keep them off the granite I guess.

I would forego the other European stuff and go for a Global. My Global G-2 has been extremely durable over the 10+ years I've had it.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Probably a good call as well, I guess make a call based on budget.

Global are still pretty damn good knives for the masses. In fact, I'd recommend them to someone who needs pure indestructible construction, combined with pretty nice cutting. There was the rumor years ago, about them snapping off at the handle, but I haven't seen it come up in a while. It seems like a strange suggestion, sure, but the look also makes non-knife nuts ooh and ahh, and rightfully so. If you could snag one for $90 or less, they're a pretty good choice. Every knife has its pros and cons, right?

***I'd also like to add that I wish the Calphalon knives were made in the US, or Japan. I still love the look of the Katana line. There, I said it.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Thanks. My thinking with the Eurosteel is that is will have a low HRC so will be less likely to chip on the counter. I have heard good things about Victorinox but the look a little thin to me to be prying apart frozen sausages and stuff. I've never used one though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    ***I'd also like to add that I wish the Calphalon knives were made in the US, or Japan. I still love the look of the Katana line. There, I said it.
    Homegoods had those in stock a year or so ago. I picked up the Santoku for $19.99 and it is really a good cutter. But again that "China" stamp is there, and even if I remove it I'll still know the truth.

Get a thin putty knife and sharpen the edge for prying. I would not recommend using any knife for that if you can help it.
    It only hurts til the pain goes away........

Quote Originally Posted by mast3quila View Post
    It also bugs me that the bolster is huge and prevents me from sharpening the heel. I've sharpened them enough that there is a gap at the heel on a few of them.
    Tip the point up and grind the finger guard so you can sharpen the whole edge.

“I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.”

now that's a good idea. like why didn't I think of that