Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: First Quality Gyuto Purchase - <Opinions Needed>

Also:

Sakai Takayuki Hammered Damascus
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/230990175070

Sakai Ichimonji Wa- Gyuto
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Japanese-Sak...item58a266bee1
    Although, at 190, id probably save for Sakai Yusuke or Gesshin Ginga, the Ginga of which is on my "soon" list.

Gonbei hammered Damascus
    http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/...-wa-gyuto.html

Quote Originally Posted by MowgFace View Post
    Also:

Sakai Takayuki Hammered Damascus
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/230990175070

Sakai Ichimonji Wa- Gyuto
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Japanese-Sak...item58a266bee1
    Although, at 190, id probably save for Sakai Yusuke or Gesshin Ginga, the Ginga of which is on my "soon" list.

Gonbei hammered Damascus
    http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/...-wa-gyuto.html
    I have sister versions of two knives mentioned here -- the yo-handled version of the Sakai Takayuki Hammered Damascus (rebranded as Togiharu for Korin), and the AEB-L version of the Yusuke, the wa-handled Grand Chef (both 240mm). I can definitely vouch for both, though it's clear that they are definitely cut from completely different sets of blueprints. The Sakai Hammered is great if you like some weight to your knife and don't mind san-mai VG-10. It gets a lot of oohs and aahs from house-guests. Having gravitated towards monosteel lasers, the Grand Chef is prefect for me, but it needs to be sharpened as soon as you get it.
    Vestigia nulla retrorsum.

Are you saying that the Grand Cheff Wa is similar to the Yusuke? I have owned both and they are about as different in every way as wa-gyutos can get: profile, thickness, weight, handle... complete opposites. The GCW is a much heavier knife.

You're saying a wa handle is completely opposite from a wa handle? That doesn't make any sense.

Also, you're calling one of the lightest gyutos out there "much heavier" -- I believe you need to check your facts. Seems you're taking about the western handled version, which IS heavier. Either that, or you're contrasting the GC with the special extra thin edition of Yusuke.
    Vestigia nulla retrorsum.

OK, I'm going to go a bit the other way on weight and suggest a great cutter with really good fit and finish and say Kochi V2 kurouchi. I happen to find it aesthetically pleasing, extremely thin behind the edge and a great overall cutter. A bit over budget but I think well worth the added cost.
    Cheers
    Edit to add that I really liked the steel and thought it took an insane edge.
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Quote Originally Posted by Frater_Decus View Post
    You're saying a wa handle is completely opposite from a wa handle? That doesn't make any sense.

Also, you're calling one of the lightest gyutos out there "much heavier" -- I believe you need to check your facts. Seems you're taking about the western handled version, which IS heavier. Either that, or you're contrasting the GC with the special extra thin edition of Yusuke.
    I'm going to give you a pass because I am trying to turn over a new leaf with my online behaviour generally.

In answer to your question, that's a definitive 'yes': the handle on the GCW is bigger and the FF is noticeably inferior; the GCW feels and handles like a much bigger, heftier knife and its profile/blade shape and geometry are identical to my Masamoto HC 240mm (which is def not a laser).

OTOH, the Yusuke is very similar to the Tadatsuna and Ashi 'laser' wa-gyutos (I also have a stainless Ashi).

To sum up, after my Yusuke, which feels like handling a light saber, the GCW felt like a baseball bat.

Sorry if I caused you embarrassment by contradicting you like that but I thought it was important to correct such a gross mistake of fact.

Do yourself a favor and get an Ashi, Yusuke or Gesshin - it will BLOW YOUR MIND - if you think the GCW is a laser, wait till you see them apples!

PS: I just remembered how I came to buying and trying the GCW - I took a chance after naively trusting OG members at Foodie Forums who were talking out their butts (as usual) and found out I had been misled about its being a laser (it isn't).

PPS: How about that? Found my old pic on Google Images (note that you can see the differences in profile which are actually much more pronounced in real life):

O ya, one handle is balck and teh other is wite! hehe

Back to the OP question. I have the Sakai Yusuke in stainless but it is a bit extreme, meaning it's a pure "laser" and have some flex due to its thiness.That's something that has to be accounted for when sharpening and I'm not sure it's the right choice for someone that has to learn sharpening.Maybe something stiffer would be better?In that price range you have the CarboNext but again it seems edge is not fantastic out of the box and requires a bit of work to enjoy its qualities. You've been recommended a Kagayaki but can't comment there ad I've never used one.Aparently VG10 is hit and miss depending on the skills of the maker.My Hattori HD is awesome but some 50$ outside of your budget. Hiromoto AS is close but again requires some sharpening skills to be appreciated fully.Maybe a MAC or a Tojiro DP?Or a Grand Chef in AEB-L?

And yes, if you can stretch to 250$ I would try a Gesshin Ginga, never used one but always seemed to be an excellent price/performance option and it's sold by someone you can trust. If I were in the States that would prob be my choice.

Thanks chilipepper. I not entirely new to sharpening. That said, I agree with your assumption for anything on the extreme end. Not looking for anything ultra on either end of the spectrum.

As for $250, I'm fine raiding my budget if it puts me into a worthy category.

Thanks again to everyone weighing in so far. This is helpful.

I'm not getting involved with the fisticuffs, but Seb knows a thing or two.

Anywho, since you have the Shun Classics, and have stones, why not try a nice carbon knife, or something with a carbon edge and stainless clad? Right now, if someone said, "You have $200(ish) to buy any gyuto" - This would be it, as a home user, or on a cramped line:

http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com...10mm-wa-gyuto/

After this knife, I'd consider trying a Gesshin Uraku (I trust Jon), or a Misono Dragon. Not because it's the best knife in the world, but because it takes a fantastic edge, and feels wonderful in use. The steel has a reputation for being highly reactive, but we long ago came to the agreement that perhaps it's a problem in certain batches moreso than in others.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com