Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: First Quality Gyuto Purchase - <Opinions Needed>

Quote Originally Posted by Obiwan View Post
    Do vendors (other than on eBay) generally offer it?
    The only one I know of is CKtG and they have no stock at the moment, not to mention a very limited choice of knives.

Bluewayjapan is an exceptionally reputable eBay dealer. Don't be afraid to purchase from them. Do arrange for EMS shipping rather than SAL, as it is well worth the price to get your knife in a timely manner. I've made several purchases from them and have never had a problem.

Rick
    “I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.”

Obiwan, There seems to be another vendor offering Yusuke Knives but the primary retailer has been our go to has been Keiichi Omay OKA Blueway Japan. His integrity, customer service and response times are of the highest order. IMHO, his prices are very humble for what he provides to the US market.

OB just remember, if you want to fall in love with a nice knife, you can, but your search will not stop, the curiosity builds and before you know it your in line waiting for a ITK Devin Thomas. Oh wait, im talking about myself. ;-)
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    The only one I know of is CKtG and they have no stock at the moment, not to mention a very limited choice of knives.

Bluewayjapan is an exceptionally reputable eBay dealer. Don't be afraid to purchase from them. Do arrange for EMS shipping rather than SAL, as it is well worth the price to get your knife in a timely manner. I've made several purchases from them and have never had a problem.

Rick
    Oh I don't fear eBay vendors. I just always try to support forum supporting ones. If he is and the "go to" guy for these blades, I'm happy to buy from him.

Quote Originally Posted by harlock0083 View Post
    I would love to try the Ginga. How does it compare to the Yusuke?
    I ... well now my girlfriend... have a 240mm Sakai-Yusuke wa-gyuto, and I own a 240mm Ginga Western gyuto. You'd be hard pressed to tell the difference in the steel and profile. Except for some variance on the handles, I can't tell the difference among Gesshin Ginga, Konosuke HH, Sakai Yusuke extra-hard, and Konosuke HD gyutos except my Kono HD gyuto seems to be ground a tad bit thinner (and quite a bit thinner at the tip). This might just be an abberation on my HD specimen. Yes, I own all these knives (redundance!!!!) except my gf now owns the Sakai Yusuke. I'm impressed that she has taken a liking to such a laser sharp knife.

I can almost guess that the same artisans are working on the different branded knives. They are that similar.

+1 for the Kochi. I went from a Shun Classic to a Kochi V2 kurouchi 240 wa-gyuto and couldn't be happier.

The Kochi has a stiff blade like your Shun, it's light but not too light, and very comfortable to use. I find the 240mm size to be great for a home cook like myself. I'm glad I didn't get the 210. Not sure if you find its aesthetics appealing but I think it looks bad ass. Based on your original message, the only thing, aside from price, I'm not sure I'd recommend it for is rock chopping.

Otherwise the Kochi is an awesome cutter, super fun to use, and it's easy to sharpen. I do find that it has a good amount of stickage but, having never used one, I assume the lasers mentions in this thread will too.

I had a Grand Chef, about the same time I purchased an HD. My expectations were met with the Konosuke.

I would say that a GC is a relatively lightweight and thin knife, but does not follow suit with regards to profile especially, as well as geometry, when it comes to the Sakai style.

I also purchased a Yusuke, but sold it, only because I favored the semi stainless of my HD, but the Yusuke is a special knife in this class. They are flawless, and packaged perfectly.

I will say that after years of trying knives, the Sakai lasers seem a bit vanilla these days...I like the Kochi and Ittinomon recommendations.
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Almost fresh out the box:

You can even see the sheen from the lacquer coating is still on. I agree they are a little vanilla compared to what's in these days. But they are perfect and that is something to behold.

Quote Originally Posted by Seb View Post
    Almost fresh out the box:

You can even see the sheen from the lacquer coating is still on. I agree they are a little vanilla compared to what's in these days. But they are perfect and that is something to behold.
    White 2?

I'm a new user here and want to thank everyone who contributed in this thread since it helped me a bit in making a decision on my first gyuto.

At first I was going to get a Gesshin Ginga but I live/work in a humid and damp environment and the stainless Ginga was sold out. I guess they'll restock immediately now that I've ordered something else.

Fetched one of the Sakai Yusuke 210s with higher hardness:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380724988733

Too bad it doesn't come with a saya, but I'll try to figure something out.

Hopefully I didn't make a tragic mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by harlock0083 View Post
    White 2?
    Yes