Quantcast
First Quality Gyuto Purchase - <Opinions Needed> - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: First Quality Gyuto Purchase - <Opinions Needed>

OP - are you the same Obiwan from B&B forum?

Welcome!

Same one....looking for something else to spend my money on and another excuse to keep the stones wet. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Seb View Post
    I'm going to give you a pass because I am trying to turn over a new leaf with my online behaviour generally.

In answer to your question, that's a definitive 'yes': the handle on the GCW is bigger and the FF is noticeably inferior; the GCW feels and handles like a much bigger, heftier knife and its profile/blade shape and geometry are identical to my Masamoto HC 240mm (which is def not a laser).

OTOH, the Yusuke is very similar to the Tadatsuna and Ashi 'laser' wa-gyutos (I also have a stainless Ashi).

To sum up, after my Yusuke, which feels like handling a light saber, the GCW felt like a baseball bat.

Sorry if I caused you embarrassment by contradicting you like that but I thought it was important to correct such a gross mistake of fact.

Do yourself a favor and get an Ashi, Yusuke or Gesshin - it will BLOW YOUR MIND - if you think the GCW is a laser, wait till you see them apples!

PS: I just remembered how I came to buying and trying the GCW - I took a chance after naively trusting OG members at Foodie Forums who were talking out their butts (as usual) and found out I had been misled about its being a laser (it isn't).

PPS: How about that? Found my old pic on Google Images (note that you can see the differences in profile which are actually much more pronounced in real life):

O ya, one handle is balck and teh other is wite! hehe
    Hokay, my main issue was the fact that you were saying that so much was "totally opposite," so if you just mean that a black ferrule is opposite from white, that's cool. I'm curious about the weight, though! I don't have a scale myself, but the weight of the GC is noted as 153 grams here: http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/sh...?post/1788411/
    The censored & unscrupulous popular J-Knife seller lists the Yusuke as 5.4 OZ, which also translates to 153 grams. Can we have some empirical data?
    Vestigia nulla retrorsum.

One is a baseball bat and the other is a knife, how's that?

One is a baseball bat and the other is a knife, how's that?
    Don't make me go Three Stooges on ya!

Nyuk-nyuk.

With all due respect to those two vendors, I wouldn't rely on those numbers at all.

With all due respect to those two vendors, I wouldn't rely on those numbers at all.
    Agreed, I would like to see some numbers from people who own them. I wish I had a scale!

Obiwan - welcome. Aside from the bickering, you will find this a very informative and welcoming place for learning about kitchen knives. A lot of jnat lovers here too, and we collectively are big into sharpening our own gear, so you'll fit right in. I got into straight razors from this forum, and I am sure you will be just as well rewarded going in the reverse direction. Also, always good to know another accomplished razor honer in our midst! I think you should most definitely scour the forum and vendor pages and learn as much as you can about the numerous options/knife styles/lexicon out there, and keep an eye on the BST for deals - there are frequent and substantial deals to be had!

Besides, if you check out the pic at Aoki Hamono you get a good indication of that massive profile I've been talking about. Thing is like a freakin machete.

Quote Originally Posted by skiajl6297 View Post
    Obiwan - welcome. Aside from the bickering, you will find this a very informative and welcoming place for learning about kitchen knives. A lot of jnat lovers here too, and we collectively are big into sharpening our own gear, so you'll fit right in. I got into straight razors from this forum, and I am sure you will be just as well rewarded going in the reverse direction. Also, always good to know another accomplished razor honer in our midst! I think you should most definitely scour the forum and vendor pages and learn as much as you can about the numerous options/knife styles/lexicon out there, and keep an eye on the BST for deals - there are frequent and substantial deals to be had!
    Thanks. As for the creative bickering, makes me feel like Sunday dinner at home. I enjoy it. It's actually insightful.

+ Reply to Thread