Quantcast
First Quality Gyuto Purchase - <Opinions Needed> - Page 6
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: First Quality Gyuto Purchase - <Opinions Needed>

Quote Originally Posted by XooMG View Post
    I'm a new user here and want to thank everyone who contributed in this thread since it helped me a bit in making a decision on my first gyuto.

At first I was going to get a Gesshin Ginga but I live/work in a humid and damp environment and the stainless Ginga was sold out. I guess they'll restock immediately now that I've ordered something else.

Fetched one of the Sakai Yusuke 210s with higher hardness:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380724988733

Too bad it doesn't come with a saya, but I'll try to figure something out.

Hopefully I didn't make a tragic mistake.
    I'd say you made an excellent decision. Personally I love the profile on the 210mm Sakai knives.

If you ask Keiichi (the seller) he will source you a saya. If it's too late for that, just make one out of cardboard and duct tape.

Quote Originally Posted by Timthebeaver View Post
    I'd say you made an excellent decision. Personally I love the profile on the 210mm Sakai knives.

If you ask Keiichi (the seller) he will source you a saya. If it's too late for that, just make one out of cardboard and duct tape.
    Thanks and double thanks for the tip. Since it's the weekend, there might still be a chance, so I sent the seller a message. Not a huge loss though if I can't get one that fits great.

Reading around made me almost regret not hunting for an extra-thin one, but that's what reading on the internet does to a person...

Thanks and double thanks for the tip. Since it's the weekend, there might still be a chance, so I sent the seller a message. Not a huge loss though if I can't get one that fits great.

Reading around made me almost regret not hunting for an extra-thin one, but that's what reading on the internet does to a person...
    Looks like I got hooked up with a saya. No retaining pin, but that's not a huge problem or a super-difficult project. At least it saves me from having to carve one from balsa or doing the tape/cardboard thing.

I've used bamboo skewers and an 1/8" bit....
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Looks like I got hooked up with a saya. No retaining pin, but that's not a huge problem or a super-difficult project. At least it saves me from having to carve one from balsa or doing the tape/cardboard thing.
    Go to a music store and pick up a set of acoustic guitar bridge pins, anywhere from $5.00 - $20.00 for a set of 6 depending on material. plastic, ebony, boxwood, ivory, ect. they are perfect size.

Quote Originally Posted by joetbn View Post
    Go to a music store and pick up a set of acoustic guitar bridge pins, anywhere from $5.00 - $20.00 for a set of 6 depending on material. plastic, ebony, boxwood, ivory, ect. they are perfect size.
    good idea.

Back to the original question.

There is no one gyuto that can be considered the best. One forum members perfect gyuto, maybe an okay knife for another member. To find a gyuto that works well for a person is a trial and error process. For most of us that is a good thing. Not so good for those on a budget.

How do you find a knife that fits your cutting style, without having a lot of experience? Get in contact with a vendor such as Jon or Maxim. They have spent countless hours developing their product. Most of what they sell has been made to their specification, not ordered out of a catalog. They also have a lot of experience, matching knives to their customers wants and wishes.

I enjoy trying out new knifes, as most members do. The Buy Sell and Trade section is a good place to try out knives without too much risk. Popularity of knives, rise and fall. I've been able to pick up some knifes that were no longer in style, at a very good price.

Jay
    I'm a over-sized, under-educated, two onions a month, cutting fool.

Obiwan, i'm late to the party, welcome to the KKF. Glad to see you over here.

Thanks Jim. Tons of great info here. I feel myself getting myself into tempting trouble, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by jaybett View Post
    ...To find a gyuto that works well for a person is a trial and error process...
    It can be. On the other hand, I've found that quite a few knives that I thought were just okay at one point, are actually really nice to use. Sometimes it just takes a bit of getting to know your knife. Thinner knives are generally more beginner-friendly, in my opinion.

+ Reply to Thread