Steak knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WLX17

Reaction score
What do you guys/gals use for steak knives? I need to buy a set and am thinking durability is a key issue, especially since I will be handing them out to my friends/family to use. How are the Wusthoff classics, or Ikon? Does anyone like what they have and care to recommend them?

What do you guys/gals use for steak knives? I need to buy a set and am thinking durability is a key issue, especially since I will be handing them out to my friends/family to use. How are the Wusthoff classics, or Ikon? Does anyone like what they have and care to recommend them?

Can't help you here WLX17, I just have cheap serrated knives, or the meat is cut up before serving.

Don't laugh - Kai Komanchi Steak Knives $10 for 4 on an amazon deal. Not gonna win style points but they cut like any other serrated steak knife I've used.

For an over-the-top splurge, you could buy a set of Hankotsus!

The Wustof Classics are pretty good. I bought a set of Laguiole Steak Knives from Crate and Barrel—wished I hadn't, as they were the cheaper line, with plastic handles and not much weight behind them. ...crap.

As far as the steak knives go the Wusthof Gourmet are cheaper and nice enough. Just sharpen them from time to time. I got a set of Classic kitchen knives for the wife, but got the gourmet steak knives and the family and guests love them. They are not serrated and come pretty sharp ootb or at least mine did.

Victorinox Forschner cheapo serrated steak knives.

Unless you plan on serving steak on wooden boards regularly, I see no point in buying anything nicer. Unless you like them to LOOK nice.

At one point, I considered splurging on 150 dollar a piece Shun steak knives. WTH was I thinking. Thank goodness I didn't go that way.

Opinel carbon paring knives. Take a really nice edge, easy to bring back should you not get the wood platters out and end up running them into a plate.

Above all, no serrated. You want to cut your meat, not to tatter it. I would have a look at Opinel's steak knives. If their stainless is the same as with the folders, namely Sandvik's 13C27, it would be a great choice.

If their stainless is the same as with the folders, namely Sandvik's 13C27, it would be a great choice.
I guess u have a typo Opinel uses 12c27

Opinels are cheap wt. decent steel carbon or stainless can be resharpened,they will need it after a few sessions cutting on a plate.Been using the carbons for steaks & pork chops on the bone.

For the quality of the steel it's one of the best deals out there.

Touchy?? There are just different reasons for preferring a non-serrated blade. Your reference to your environment was utmost informative, but perhaps not that relevant.

The Brazilian Tramontina sets are hard to beat for cost and durability. I wouldn't normally ever put a knife in a dish washer but these I could care less. Most restaurants that use them do over and over.

The Brazilian Tramontina sets are hard to beat for cost and durability. I wouldn't normally ever put a knife in a dish washer but these I could care less. Most restaurants that use them do over and over.

I have a 1# Tramontina Carbon Macheti it's a good one.They heat treat their Macheti's,I'm sure they also HT the Inox steak knives.

My preference, anymore, is to slice and sauce when plating, which makes for a cleaner presentation, better eating, and less worry about knives. Maybe that's insufficiently primal for some steak eaters, but to me it's perfect.

My preference, anymore, is to slice and sauce when plating, which makes for a cleaner presentation, better eating, and less worry about knives. Maybe that's insufficiently primal for some steak eaters, but to me it's perfect.

:viking:primal It's all good,slicing & sauce can look nice too,easy on the knives.Than there is that urge to carve into that hunk of meat on your plate:pirate1:

My anal-retentive need to keep knives sharp would drive me crazy with non-serrated steak knives.

I started reading hoping to find a good one and all I did was waste my time. I have old school fat 'red' wood handled ones at home like at the old school steak houses. They work fine but are ugly. What I have found and love about them is they seem to cube a pound of butter very nicely. I laugh a little inside watching ppl use chef knives on butter while I pull out my cheapo steak knife and blow through it without coming close to chopping a finger off.

I use tojiro steak knife. For the fact that I can actually sharpen it. :)

Given the normal steak knife is dragged over a ceramic plate surface over and over, a conventional straight edge is pretty much a waste of time. This is why cheap serrated steak knives were invented.

To me that is almost like saying since you use your pocket knife to cut rope or boxes open that it is not worth having a nice sharp straight edge.

I own a ton of steak knives. I have Shun, Laguoile with the olive wood handle, Wustoff Ikons, and Hankotsu's(misono MVh). The Hankotsus are my favorite, but a bit pricey. Shun would be the best of the rest.

Back