Seamless belts?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eamon Burke

Banned
Reaction score
Who makes belts with the least seam "hump" where the belt is connected to itself? That little bump drives me crazy sometimes.

And does the leather belt from Lee Valley have a giant bump in it like that? Seems to me that it would be very hard to do accurate finishing work on an edge with a belt that has a hill in it.

I'm not really bothered by the splice joints on most belts but I also buy mostly expensive belts for on platen work. For sharpening I use cheap SiC belts but I don't sharpen on platen so this isn't an issue.

On leather belts, it doesn't matter where you get them, they'll all have humps and will only get worse as they stretch out. Some will even give you the added feature of slapping about and walking side to side like a snake. :)

I've only notice the bump on really cheap belts. I get most of my belts from trugrit and don't notice any bump on them.

none of the structured abrasive belts will have a "hump"

Blaze
Gator
3m 976
Norax

etc.

On leather belts, it doesn't matter where you get them, they'll all have humps and will only get worse as they stretch out. Some will even give you the added feature of slapping about and walking side to side like a snake. :)

I know I've heard you rave about power-stropping on leather belts...doesn't this wobble affect the quality of the outcome? Seems like it would be pretty imprecise.

I know I've heard you rave about power-stropping on leather belts...doesn't this wobble affect the quality of the outcome? Seems like it would be pretty imprecise.

Although I'd prefer a smoother ride it's not at all a problem in the end results.

Back