Quantcast
Western Handle Design Input
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Western Handle Design Input

Western Handle Design Input

Hello guys,
    I have grown accustomed to ask you for an advice, so here I go.

I am thinking of making Western handles with a metal bolster in aged bronze or stainless steel (possibly mokume later on), main wood and a contrasting endcap in wood or metal.

Endcap would be something new and some knives will have metal endcaps (same material as bolster) to bring the balance point forward. Michael Rader's handles are obvious inspiration here.

Shape - coca-cola bottle.

What do ya think?

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

I would do the bolster in stainless. It sounds cool. Could you draw up a pic of the coke bottle shape that might help get some opinions because coke bottle shape can vary in knives that I have seen, owned and held.

I think a picture of a finished handle would make a better justice than a drawing. I have heat treated a few blades for a Western style handle, so the prototype is coming very soon.

Aged bronze would look similar to this one (courtesy of Blade Gallery). I will try to pick wood to create a very good (and balanced) contrast.

Attachment 18851

Coca-Cola shape will be similar to Hattory FH, but a bit thicker in the middle.

M

Man, I would love to swap my beautiful wa for a beautiful western. Your wa handles are gorgeous, but I'm a Wester handle guy lately.

This should be fun to watch, Marko.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Sounds good, I prefer stainless bolster for stainless knives and bronze/nickel silver on blades that Patina

I don't think you can go wrong using Michaels handles as an inspiration! They are magic
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

Quote Originally Posted by Von blewitt View Post
    Sounds good, I prefer stainless bolster for stainless knives and bronze/nickel silver on blades that Patina

I don't think you can go wrong using Michaels handles as an inspiration! They are magic
    Sounds good.
    As for Michael's handles inspiration, just the end cap. I like the coca-cola shape from top to bottom of the handle akin to how Bill Burke makes his (or Hattori for that matter, though Hattori is thinner and I also like handles taller in the front).

Marko, I'm confused on how a metal endcap would bring the balance forward; I thought it would be the opposite?

Like the uniqueness of bronze bolster! I'm ok with coke bottle. I just had Dave re-profile my Martell suji to coke bottle because it affords a better grip when things get greasy (I do a lot of 180's and 112A's). On a gyuto or petty, I'm more of a palm swell/boat tail, Dan O'Malley style guy.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Von blewitt View Post
    Yeah, I wish I could "magically" make them faster. Get ready for lots of tedious work, and good luck, Marko. Thanks. -m

Quote Originally Posted by Don Nguyen View Post
    Marko, I'm confused on how a metal endcap would bring the balance forward; I thought it would be the opposite?
    A typo. By increasing the weight of the handle, particularly at the butt, you bring the balance toward the handle. How much it will bring, will depend on the weight of the knife before handle. I plan to do this on a pretty heavy knives or upon request

M