Quantcast
Western Handle Design Input - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Western Handle Design Input

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Rader View Post
    Yeah, I wish I could "magically" make them faster. Get ready for lots of tedious work, and good luck, Marko. Thanks. -m
    Thanks, Michael -

to get to your level of consistency will take a long time, I have done a few prototypes for practice and it is very tedious and time consuming work.

It is however, great to look up to quality makers and strive to get better.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

I'm a fan of a big beak at the heel, like western shigs. In a pinch grip it gives the little finger a reference point and it gives great control in a hammer grip.

A coke bottle big beaked handle may look a touch busy, but would feel and perform well.

Also, classy looks. Stay classy kkf.

This is a classy joint.

I'm excited to see what your Westerns will look like, Marko. If they have any inspiration from Rader's work, when combined with your workmanship (it goes without saying Michael's is outstanding) and styling, they should be pretty incredible.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

To be honest, I draw influences for Western handle from all over the place - F.Dick, Devin, Rader, Burke, Ort to name a few. A while back I heard an interview with Jonathan Safran Foer and he said something along the line, when we see a beautiful thing, we want to copy it, kind of involuntary reaction, and I remember totally agreeing with him . When there is more than one feature from different sources that I like, then I have to come up with a design that incorporates some, and in process, I come up with my own style.

That bolster and cap combo would be spectacular. Can't wait to see these, let alone holding one.

I kept putting off this project, but in a sense it has kept me from working on some new types of knives - scimitar, boning, etc, so I spent some time to figure out the process of making a western handle. I have 4 in works and more in prep, so I am pleased to announce that a western handled knives will be produced shortly.

The design is unchanged - brass tip, stock wood for handle body and contrasting angled butt cap.

The first few will go on a gyuto (grinding new types takes a little bit of practice), but I will post pictures as soon as available. I am cautiously optimistic, as the practice handle came out pretty good and at this point what is left is to proceed slowly and to pay attention to details.

I might take a break from making wa handles and concentrate on western for a while.

Thanks,

Marko

Also, looking to give the western handle some texture to aid gripping. Once I narrow down to an acceptable finish, I will post some comments.

M

Sneak Peak

New territory for me, so moving slowly. Handle is roughly shaped, moving to polishing.

Not great pictures, but you can probably see a contrasting end cap.

MClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20140102_160134.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	21345

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140102_160146.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	21343

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140102_160125.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	21344

Looking nice Marko!!

Really cool. Can definitely see the time and thought put into this new handed design pic yours