Quantcast
What's Your Knife Confession?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's Your Knife Confession?

What's Your Knife Confession?

I know most of you have something you're not proud of, but no pressure to expose yourself.

Here is mine:

*** I haven't been taking care of my knives and many of them aren't sharp. I did something today (which I will not disclose) that made my sharp knifelike heart sink -- it was really that dull of a knife. Cognitive dissonance has set in and I feel guilty, which leads to avoidance. And some knives I don't enjoy using right now because they remind me of what I should be doing. I should simply sharpen my knives but life's other duties have pulled me in so many other directions: preparing to move, mortgage financing (W TF's up with that crap), a new wonderful kid, legal action x2, and other crazy things. I don't get much sleep. To make it worse, I have been cheating on KKF. No, it isn't one of those other $2 knife board whores...I have been hanging with wine geeks in their internet space. They aren't even that friendly...but at the end of the day there is usually an uncorked bottle of wine next to me and not a sharpening stone.

Anyhow, I will be back in form one day...just not now. This is my confession -- now back to my bordeaux.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

I understand completely, but - not to judge - I seem to remember you making a great little sharpening station about a year and a half ago. Tsk tsk tsk. Now ask my wife how sharp her knives are... ugg
    -M

That custom wood box. Loved it. Weren't you thinking about put a strop on it?

There is not reason you cannot have an uncorked bottle of wine and a sharpening stone next to you at night. Have to multi-task.

Quote Originally Posted by mc2442 View Post
    There is not reason you cannot have an uncorked bottle of wine and a sharpening stone next to you at night. Have to multi-task.
    +1. I'm kinda going in the same direction as Drinky, although my reason is different. Some kind of neck issue is causing numbness in 2 fingers...makes it hard to hold the angle so I've been avoiding. Doesn't interfere with holding a glass at all though.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

I have a few carbon knifes that have some rust spots on them that I've been neglecting. Even more shameful is the fact that I ground a few knives last year, had handles made for them and prepped them for mounting and then I just couldn't do it. I inspect them every once in a while but they remain unmounted. I'm blaming everything on my third kid who just turned 1 yr old and renewing my commitment to being fit... I feel shame...

After moving, I've put three of my (small) collection of knives into a drawer. They haven't left since.

P.S. Karring, I'm going to Burch for dinner tonight. Recommendations?

So far, I can confess to everything mentioned above except to drinking wine.

Stefan

I can't remember the last time I sharpened my knives, other than when I touched one up on my 6k for a customer, and decided to do my wife's knives at the same time.

I'm also learning that I really can, and should survive with one gyuto, a petty, a parer and a "fun knife".

Lastly, I check this place more often than is normal and find that sometimes an hour will pass and my coffee has gotten cold, all the while, I don't remember anything I've read. I'm busy, and while I love selling knives to the right people, I'd rather dream up and create. Thus, my site is literally 50 knives behind....
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mrmnms View Post
    That custom wood box. Loved it. Weren't you thinking about put a strop on it?
    LOL. That's awesome, I complain about not having time to do basic knife duties and you point out something else I am neglecting.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson