Quantcast
thoughts on different stainless steels
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: thoughts on different stainless steels

thoughts on different stainless steels

Another question from a curious newbie.

I know many of you are devoted to carbon steel, but when choosing a blade as a gift for a family member I feel like stainless is much more forgiving and certainly easier to maintain.

So, as I shop for knife blanks to put handles on, I'm curious what your opinions are of the various alloys available.
    Strengths, weaknesses, pros, cons. Which do you prefer, and which has the best balance of edge holding, toughness, and corrosion resistance?

Specifically, I'm curious about VG-10, Aus-8, and 440-C. Other recommendations are welcome.

AEB-L is often thought as being a easily available stainless steel that makes a good kitchen knife; that said, the others you mention can also make fine knives. The steel type isn't all that important when compared to the heat treatment, profile, grind, etc

Look into m390 , CPM 154, 19c27, and. ZDP-189 while you're researching AEB-l. Pitonboy's comment re the importance of heat treat are on the money. I own knives of Aeb-l and the first 3. I've used and sharpened ZDP-189. I my opinion , the most the difficult to sharpen.

Hard to find ground and heat treated culinary blades in most of those steels though. I've seen zdp189, but none of the others. The blades I see are VG-10, Aus-8, and 440-C.

I'm very interesting Sandvik 14C28N. it fill-in right between 13C26(Aeb-l) fine carbide/good toughness/better sharpen ability...etc & 19C27(Suisin Inox Honyaki) coarse carbide/better edge retention....etc. 14C28N seems like best of both worlds...WillC is only one I know use 14C28N for custom kitchen knife.
    the other 3 steels I'm also like to try are:
    CPM-D2>PM D2 tool steel
    V2 Special > V2 steel with higher carbon & add tungsten for better edge retention
    SLD Fantastic> PM SLD tool steel
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

sorry! hobbitling, I didn't notice your last post from my small phone screen.... please ignor my last post!!
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbitling View Post
    Hard to find ground and heat treated culinary blades in most of those steels though. I've seen zdp189, but none of the others. The blades I see are VG-10, Aus-8, and 440-C.
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

If I had the tools and time to make make my own blades, I would, but at this point I'm only making handles.

R2/SG2
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Did anyone read the opening post? He is looking to buy premade blanks to rehandle. They come in 3 flavors. He is asking which of three are preferred.....
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

I missed that part. Needs moar coffee....
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/