One Favorite Knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deanb

KKF Supporting Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
Many of us here have substantial collections of knives. If you had to pick the one knife that made you the happiest, what would it be? If this thread gets any traction, I'll reveal mine later.

I have some very nice Gyutos, but if I had to pick one knife that is my favourite to use its my 210mm Shigefusa Kitaeji Deba, I love that knife and I love filleting fish, I only get to use it a couple of times a week, but its always fun!

And I hope yours is your Kramer, cause that is a sweet knife!

Rader damascus Gyuto! :wink:

Just feels right.. Superb balance, the right thickness, right geometry... Food doesn't stick and its easy on the eyes to boot!

May I?

I have a 270 damasteel suji from Pierre that I reach for very often when i need to cut proteins.... Thought Id throw that in there!

Asai AS damascus nakiri. Slices onions like they were made of smoke. Despite a great amount of effort on my part, this is still by far the best cutter in my drawer.

View attachment 18876

Be well,
Mikey

270 Kono Fujiyama gyuto.

Despite my dislike for the soft iron cladding, every time I use the knife, I am pleased as a peach.

It has the perfect balance of convexity and thin edge.

For sentiment, performance, or just plain old, "I naturally grab this knife"?

Assuming they're all seperate categories, mine would likely be: Carter Suji; Rodrigue Pettysuki; Tsourkan Gyuto or Shige Santoku OR Harner Mini Gyuto.

Watanabe white Yanagi. Every time I use it it puts a smile on my face. I especially love when, after a few drinks I'm capable of making slices so thin with it that I can't even see them. :O

This thread is useless without pictures :cop:

Here's mine, a 240mm Michael Rader gyuto in 52100.

q82f.jpg

Soon, Pete. I expect mine to be my fave as well....

Sakai Yusuke 240 white #2 gyuto. Great performance and very good fit and finish for the price.

I have some very nice Gyutos, but if I had to pick one knife that is my favourite to use its my 210mm Shigefusa Kitaeji Deba, I love that knife and I love filleting fish, I only get to use it a couple of times a week, but its always fun!

And I hope yours is your Kramer, cause that is a sweet knife!

Yep. 9" Kramer chef's knife in 52100. Even if I don't use it every day I handle it very day. It's a joy just to hold it.

Right now it is my 210 R2 Damascus Tanaka Gyuto, but things may change once it will be my turn with Marko :)

PJ Tomes MS chef knife, 52100, walrus ivory handle with stacked bolster

tomes_chef.jpg

-Michael

PJ Tomes MS chef knife, 52100, walrus ivory handle with stacked bolster
-Michael

Don't know what it is, but I really like this knife. Looks like you could skin and butcher something with it, then go do your mise en place.

Don't know what it is, but I really like this knife. Looks like you could skin and butcher something with it, then go do your mise en place.

Thanks Lucretia! It's the chef knife that finds the most use in the kitchen...designed by PJ after a smaller utility that I had previously acquired (PJ has a touch of Scagel in his work), with my touch-ups to the shape, and a massive chunk of ivory...very thin (though no flex) with an almost imperceptible edge; the construction, fit & finish is 100% mastersmith, it cuts like very few.....

tomes_chef(3).jpg

tomes_chef(5).jpg

tomes_chef(4).jpg

-Michael

Love Rick's DT knife - and I am not a damascus junkie. Mine would be the lowly Hiro AS 240 gyuto - with Fish handle and Dave's spa treatment.

Stefan

Mine would be the lowly Hiro AS 240 gyuto - with Fish handle and Dave's spa treatment.

Stefan

Any knife with a Fish handle and Dave's spa treatment is far from lowly...I bet it is a sick knife!
:doublethumbsup:

Without a doubt, the Don Nguyen that Son gifted me....such a pleasure to use, and the fact that it was a gift makes it more so. It's off in AZ getting new shoes + a dress (is that the right way to extend the metaphor?)....hoping to see it again soon!

Back