Quantcast
Gyuto Shapes
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gyuto Shapes

Question Gyuto Shapes

Hey,

I'm currently on a quest to find the right gyuto to shape for me. I have one a Shun Chef 10" and a Richmond gyuto 10" and now looking for a knife that has a flat blade with perhaps a little round at the tip similar to a kiritsuke with any handle other then a Western. Any recommendation for about $150?

Once I know the style I enjoy, I will look for something in the higher end.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by smilesenpai View Post
    Hey,

I'm currently on a quest to find the right gyuto to shape for me. I have one a Shun Chef 10" and a Richmond gyuto 10" and now looking for a knife that has a flat blade with perhaps a little round at the tip similar to a kiritsuke with any handle other then a Western. Any recommendation for about $150?

Once I know the style I enjoy, I will look for something in the higher end.

Thanks.
    do you mean something like a funyaki profile?

The "rounder at tip" is throwing me off a bit. I would say a kiritsuke is square'ish, a funiyuki would be pointy. Maybe a santoku has a flat blade profile with a round tip?
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by NO ChoP! View Post
    The "rounder at tip" is throwing me off a bit. I would say a kiritsuke is square'ish, a funiyuki would be pointy. Maybe a santoku has a flat blade profile with a round tip?
    I am confused as well that's why I asked about a funyaki...that might be a little too aggressive for him...I like the suggestion of a santoku...depends on what the need is for as well

Unless I am misunderstanding, it sounds like the OP wants a gyuto with shades of santoku in the profile. Can't think of many knives that fit the bill, certainly at 240mm+/$150/wa-handle

http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/...-wa-gyuto.html

This immediately sprang to mind, then the recently discussed Takayuki Grand Cheff Wa.

A funayuki is the complete opposite I would have thought, with its spear-point.

I was a little confused as to what the OP was stating that he was looking for...it being early and no coffee yet might have just sparked that idea into my head...if he is looking for something more rounded I do not know....but the GC Wa looks like a knife that would work for the OP

Quote Originally Posted by Timthebeaver View Post
    Unless I am misunderstanding, it sounds like the OP wants a gyuto with shades of santoku in the profile. Can't think of many knives that fit the bill, certainly at 240mm+/$150/wa-handle

http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/...-wa-gyuto.html

This immediately sprang to mind, then the recently discussed Takayuki Grand Cheff Wa.

A funayuki is the complete opposite I would have thought, with its spear-point.
    That is good blade geometry long flatter profile fr. the heel wt. slight rise at the tip.

I'm a little confused too, but my reading was "flat with curve near tip" which might imply no edge belly except close to the point. I guess it could imply santoku, but if the OP knows the word "kiritsuke", it seems hard to believe she or he would not know "santoku", which seems much more prevalent in English. I could be wrong about that though.

Quote Originally Posted by keithsaltydog View Post
    That is good blade geometry long flatter profile fr. the heel wt. slight rise at the tip.
    I love that knife -- I don't care what the haters say. It's the best profile for me, personally.
    Vestigia nulla retrorsum.

Why hater's? What's not to like.