Gyuto Shapes

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smilesenpai

Reaction score
Hey,

I'm currently on a quest to find the right gyuto to shape for me. I have one a Shun Chef 10" and a Richmond gyuto 10" and now looking for a knife that has a flat blade with perhaps a little round at the tip similar to a kiritsuke with any handle other then a Western. Any recommendation for about $150?

Once I know the style I enjoy, I will look for something in the higher end.

Thanks.

Hey,

I'm currently on a quest to find the right gyuto to shape for me. I have one a Shun Chef 10" and a Richmond gyuto 10" and now looking for a knife that has a flat blade with perhaps a little round at the tip similar to a kiritsuke with any handle other then a Western. Any recommendation for about $150?

Once I know the style I enjoy, I will look for something in the higher end.

Thanks.

do you mean something like a funyaki profile?

The "rounder at tip" is throwing me off a bit. I would say a kiritsuke is square'ish, a funiyuki would be pointy. Maybe a santoku has a flat blade profile with a round tip?

The "rounder at tip" is throwing me off a bit. I would say a kiritsuke is square'ish, a funiyuki would be pointy. Maybe a santoku has a flat blade profile with a round tip?

I am confused as well that's why I asked about a funyaki...that might be a little too aggressive for him...I like the suggestion of a santoku...depends on what the need is for as well

Unless I am misunderstanding, it sounds like the OP wants a gyuto with shades of santoku in the profile. Can't think of many knives that fit the bill, certainly at 240mm+/$150/wa-handle

http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com...ttetsu-240mm-white-2-hon-kasumi-wa-gyuto.html

This immediately sprang to mind, then the recently discussed Takayuki Grand Cheff Wa.

sakai-takayuki-grand-chef-2.jpg

A funayuki is the complete opposite I would have thought, with its spear-point.

I was a little confused as to what the OP was stating that he was looking for...it being early and no coffee yet might have just sparked that idea into my head...if he is looking for something more rounded I do not know....but the GC Wa looks like a knife that would work for the OP

Unless I am misunderstanding, it sounds like the OP wants a gyuto with shades of santoku in the profile. Can't think of many knives that fit the bill, certainly at 240mm+/$150/wa-handle

http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com...ttetsu-240mm-white-2-hon-kasumi-wa-gyuto.html

This immediately sprang to mind, then the recently discussed Takayuki Grand Cheff Wa.

sakai-takayuki-grand-chef-2.jpg

A funayuki is the complete opposite I would have thought, with its spear-point.

That is good blade geometry long flatter profile fr. the heel wt. slight rise at the tip.

I'm a little confused too, but my reading was "flat with curve near tip" which might imply no edge belly except close to the point. I guess it could imply santoku, but if the OP knows the word "kiritsuke", it seems hard to believe she or he would not know "santoku", which seems much more prevalent in English. I could be wrong about that though.

I got a lot of flac for calling it a sister model to the Yusuke (my reasoning is that it also had Sakai in the model name and is a monosteel wa-gyuto); people were saying it is heavy (when it is about 153 grams), thick (when it is 2mm at the spine), has a bad profile, bad F&F (though mine is perfect), etc. They were saying it is not in the same class as a "real laser" like a Konosuke, Yusuke, Suisin etc and when I challenged them about this, nobody could back this up with any facts and generally I got antagonized to hell by everyone but harloc and spaceconvoy.

Main thing you like it & it cuts well which I'm sure it does.Don't worry about other's opinions,you are the one using it that's the only opinion that counts.

@frater-decus i think what people were trying to explain is that the other knives they were talking about (konosuke, gesshin ginga, yusuke) have a different profile and are noticeably thinner behind the edge (as measured with calipers) than the grand cheff. The grand cheff will not move through food quite as easily and tends to have a bit more sticking due to the extra blade height (and type of grind on the sides).

@frater-decus i think what people were trying to explain is that the other knives they were talking about (konosuke, gesshin ginga, yusuke) have a different profile and are noticeably thinner behind the edge (as measured with calipers) than the grand cheff. The grand cheff will not move through food quite as easily and tends to have a bit more sticking due to the extra blade height (and type of grind on the sides).

I'm willing to theoretically and tentatively accept that, but two things --
1) No hard data or specs were presented by anybody.
2) People were literally calling me names and directly insulting me, so that doesn't exactly lead to a good impression.

I do thank you for trying to clear things up, though.

Main thing you like it & it cuts well which I'm sure it does.Don't worry about other's opinions,you are the one using it that's the only opinion that counts.

Thanks man, that's how I feel too! There is no universal best knife. No accounting for taste. :doublethumbsup:

I'm willing to theoretically and tentatively accept that, but two things --
1) No hard data or specs were presented by anybody.
2) People were literally calling me names and directly insulting me, so that doesn't exactly lead to a good impression.

I do thank you for trying to clear things up, though.

i actually measured these in the past, but it was a long time ago and i dont have the exact numbers on hand, but this was the case. It also is the case when i see them in person now days, though i dont measure anymore, as the differences are clear to the naked eye.

Better or worse is a tricky one... better or worse for a person depends a lot on preference. That being said, one can objectively say which one will move through food better, have better edge retention, etc. In this case, knives like the gesshin ginga, yusuke (@61hrc), etc., will move through food with less resistance and have better edge retention. I think thats what people were trying to say when they said one was better than the other.

i actually measured these in the past, but it was a long time ago and i dont have the exact numbers on hand, but this was the case. It also is the case when i see them in person now days, though i dont measure anymore, as the differences are clear to the naked eye.

Better or worse is a tricky one... better or worse for a person depends a lot on preference. That being said, one can objectively say which one will move through food better, have better edge retention, etc. In this case, knives like the gesshin ginga, yusuke (@61hrc), etc., will move through food with less resistance and have better edge retention. I think thats what people were trying to say when they said one was better than the other.

That's fair enough, and I thank you again for being reasonable. I just wish that I could compare spec numbers or some such, or try one in person before I shell out another few hundred. What would be really great is if each knife sold came with a diagram of its grind, description of its profile, and full statistics for weight, ad nauseam -- that would save a lot of speculation and questioning. Probably more trouble than it's worth, though!

Also, weirdly, every account of the wa-GC that I could find stated that the edge retention is surprisingly good -- I guess only time will tell, for that one.

as long as youre cool with your GC, thats all that matters. if you want it thinner, you can always thin it. if its any consolation, if your GrandChef blade is thicker then that usually translates into a stronger overall blade than the comparable lasers. thin behind the edge isnt everything. strong edges/blades can be very useful too.

as long as youre cool with your GC, thats all that matters. if you want it thinner, you can always thin it. if its any consolation, if your GrandChef blade is thicker then that usually translates into a stronger overall blade than the comparable lasers. thin behind the edge isnt everything. strong edges/blades can be very useful too.

I see you know the riddle of steel!
"What is steel, compared to the hand that wields it?"

just sayin. it depends on how you work. you think all those knives salty beats the hell out of in his videos on youtube are super thin behind the edge? because i doubt it. yet his videos are as impressive as any cutting demo ive ever seen. food for thought.

Sorry. What I should have said is a knife that has a little belly. The funyaki style very much what I am looking for.
Thank you :)

Latest posts

Back