Chan Chi Kee 1102 handle

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaamax

Reaction score
So I finally replaced the old CCK 1102 with a new one.
I was really looking forward to tricking this one out with a new handle (leaning towards a fat Wa).
Well, aint gonna happen.
The stock handle is just toooo nice to monkey with. Just a little 800 grit paper and it is perfect.
I guess you sometimes luck out with a good one on these (the last one was crap), but DAMN, i wanted to change it!
Guess I'll have to buy a 1302 and hope for the standard crap handle.

cck.jpg

I started thinking about it after this post and I realized that I am MUCH harder on this knife (read: abusive) than any other I use. So maybe the cleaver is not a good candidate for a custom handle that is either burnt or epoxied in. The stock bent-over tang might be the 500 year old design for a damn good reason...lol. Never did consider this.

I can not see the difference from this barrel type handle to another barrel types that CCK has.... What is different?

My 1102 had a really nice handle as well. Custom handles on cleavers have always seemed wrong to me (actually, custom handles in general seem wrong to me). The barrel handle is perfectly designed for how a cleaver is held and used.

I can not see the difference from this barrel type handle to another barrel types that CCK has.... What is different?

It was just that this one had a really nice, tight grain. Otherwise shape is as all the others.

The best handle that I've used on a production knife is from Sugimoto.

While a lot of custom handles are visually stunning, I was a bit skeptical. A knife is a tool. Who re-handles a screw driver? Andy changed my mind, when he loaned me his Fish Sugimoto.

1150325670-IMG_2842_1_1.JPG

The handle is close to ideal, as a cleaver handle.

Andy sold the knife. The person who bought it, only had the knife for a week or so, before somebody stole it. I hope he gets it back.

Jay

Easy to spruce up those chinese barrel handles.I find them most comfortable wt. pinch grip.

Andy sold the knife. The person who bought it, only had the knife for a week or so, before somebody stole it. I hope he gets it back.

Jay

damn, that is an issue on my mind regularly. Depending on the gig, I WILL leave my good blades at home. Which really is ashame. That's why I have some ugly old Sabs that I put Wa handles on just so I can have something to cut with.
Hell, I would like to start a new thread of "who actually uses the supplied, in-house knives?" and how about a thread of "show me your favorite knife! that got snagged"... lol

Back