Getting my toes wet, but not diving in...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XooMG

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My post count tells me I'm a new member, so I'm probably supposed to introduce myself. Unfortunately I don't have too much to say about myself. Or maybe I do...let's see...

Not too long ago, my relationship status changed and now I'm sharing my small apartment with another primate, and so I started taking more seriously the prospect of cooking from time to time. Here in Taiwan, convenient food is everywhere, and my kitchen is hardly more than a closet with a sink and gas range, so I wonder about my sanity. I'm not prepared to sink a whole lot of money into this, and while I've made a fairly expensive knife purchase now and already have some stones, much of my kitchen will have to remain pretty cheap. I cannot justify the kind of spending done by enthusiasts.

I won't be doing nearly as much food work as most of the members here, so I will not be amassing a collection of knives or even being able to contribute much to any discussion. Further, overseas shipping costs can cause problems, especially for heavy things like cutting boards, so I need to find more local options, and that often involves products that I cannot find opinions of here, and many products I see recommended here are unavailable to me.

So in other words, I'm not serious enough to be here, but I registered anyway. :tooth:

Welcome to the forums! Don't be concerned about your level of skill, or how many knives are in your rotation (or drawer), or how much knowledge you can share. Hang around for a while & get involved at a level you feel comfortable with. There's lots of good people here!

Welcome to the forums! Don't be concerned about your level of skill, or how many knives are in your rotation (or drawer), or how much knowledge you can share. Hang around for a while & get involved at a level you feel comfortable with. There's lots of good people here!
:plus1:
One of the great things about this forum is you can get involved as much as you want. If you have a very small flame of interest, over time the knowledge and passion here will fan that flame into a roaring fire. Just enjoy.

Thanks folks. I've got some background in blademaking and general metal work, but that probably isn't all that applicable to kitchen knives here.

My next steps will be getting a low-maintenance small cutting board and some technique practice. I have some experience with Chinese cleavers of poor to moderate quality, but not much practice with a gyuto like the 210mm Yusuke I've got on the way. I was considering a higher-end Chinese knife but they get pricey quickly, and I like a somewhat narrower knife that takes up less counter/board space (tiny, tiny kitchen...). Digging up a decent board might be a challenge, but I'll figure something out.

Only things left really are to learn how to cook, convert my expenses to motivation, and not shout colorful language too loudly while learning...

Back