Some knife ID help

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triplecyl

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I was hoping to get a bit of help IDing a couple of knives. I bought a couple last year while I was in Sapporo for a few months. I bought a rather basic deba and usuba, and then one relatively nice wa-guyto. I had no clue of the brand of any of them, just that I like the way they handled. I've had a lot of fun with them and learning how to sharpen. Still, I wish I knew the brand of the guyto. I bought the knife from a store named Miyabun for a bit over 30,000 yen.

Any idea?
IMG_8065-XL.jpg

That profile and kanji look familiar: I am fairly certain that that knife has been sold/marketed as Sakai Yusuke Ginsanko wa-gyuto (it went for about that price today).

That just says Ginsan, the steel type. Is there nothing on the other side?

the only thing that side says is ginsanko, which is the steel type. What about a pic of the other side?

That profile and kanji look familiar: I am fairly certain that that knife has been sold/marketed as Sakai Yusuke Ginsanko wa-gyuto (it went for about that price today).

Yes, I remember that knife - looks like a dead ringer. Forged by Yamatsuka if I recall correctly, Takayuki also offer his knives.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm actually in Sapporo now, which means the knife is at home in California. I won't be back for another three months, so a picture of the other side will have to wait. I did stop back at the store a couple days ago to get a knife to use while I'm here, and I took a picture of the tag. Well, it's not the tag for the gyuto, but for another knife (a usuba, I think) of the same brand. Maybe it'll help? No worries if not. I'll just stop back and ask the brand (after I figure out how to ask that!) and see if they can write it in hiragana. I can read that, but I'm lost when it comes to kanji.

IMG_0325-XL.jpg

Back