Texas Sake Tasting Event [October 5th]

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Korin_Mari

Reaction score
texasevent.jpg

Hello hello! Korin will be hosting a sake tasting event with The Texas Sake Company. If you are in the area or are interested, please stop by. I unfortunately will not be able to attend, but hope you have a wonderful time if you do. :)

Date : October 5, 2013 (Sunday)
Time : 2:00pm to 5:00pm

What is special about the sake?
Texas is one of the only few areas outside of Japan that can grow the right type of rice to make saké and has been harvesting Japanese rice since the early 1900s. They use organically and locally grown resources to produce the first ever Texas Saké. Texas Saké Company is the first saké kura and organic alcohol producer in Texas, and the only independently-owned saké kura in the United States. To understand our philosophy, one can examine our seal. Our emblem highlights the Whooping Crane, a majestic and rare Texas bird; rice; and the Lone Star, encased in a circular pattern, a symbol of the interconnectedness our product has for the importance of the state, its agriculture, and our local environment. We believe the quality of a saké comes from the quality of the rice and the reflection of its region.

How they make their sake:
Their saké is made using quality local organic rice from farmers in Wharton and Bay City. They hand-wash each batch and use a long, cold fermentation process to bring out the great floral and aromatic flavors inherent in Texan rice. After that they lightly press the batch to separate the saké from the spent rice. Light pressing doesn't produce the highest yields but it keeps a lot of the bitter and wild flavors in the rice ensuring a higher quality for their saké. After that it’s back to the tank to age and condition. Once the saké is ready, we rack, lightly filter, and then bottle they delicious brew for enjoyment.

Two types of sake will be available for tasting during the event :
  • WHOOPING CRANE - Our clear and refined saké, nuanced and full of body and character, this saké brings the best out of most food and pairs well with Eastern & Western cuisine.
  • RISING STAR - Our Nigori saké. Coarsely filtered Rising Star is brash, cloudy, and goes well with food with deep savory flavors, like BBQ & bacon. Shake gently for consistency before serving.

Thank you for reading!

Texas represent woot woot. lol I think it is a good thing and hope the tasting goes well up there.

If Mari is not there, what's the point? ;) Just kidding. I really need to do a sake tasting one of these days, I know next to nothing about it. Fortunately, there are occasionally tastings out here with the high Japanse population. NY is just a little too far...

Stefan

Back