Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cast Iron Kinfe

Cast Iron Kinfe

Hello guys
    i've never heard about cast iron knives. whats pros and cons of thees knives.
    i really liked this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HwaSeong-Cas...item4d078d0fb2

what is your's opinion about it?

thank you!

The images in the description say "Material: Cast Iron Steel," so I'm not really sure what's going on with that.
    Vestigia nulla retrorsum.

I have one. Not a bad knife for the price but I think something is lost in the translation. Far as I know, no knives are made from real cast iron.

Well if its cast iron, it definitely has a super high carbon content. I'd probably get one to hack through bone I guess. Also I thought ebay links were not allowed......

A knife made entirely of cast iron would be pretty much non-functional at any realistic level. Unless I'm missing something, anyway.

Mine is definitely not a bone chopper. The edge is way too thin for that. I'm guessing they kind of the Korean version of an Old Hickory.

Quote Originally Posted by harlock0083 View Post
    Well if its cast iron, it definitely has a super high carbon content. I'd probably get one to hack through bone I guess. Also I thought ebay links were not allowed......
    If im not mistaken, Ebay links are allowed if the item has a "Buy it now" price. Bid only items are a no go.

Mowgs

There was a tread about it a while ago http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...kitchen-knives

Mine came with a lefty bias grind, but for under $10 it was a fun project.

i have one of these to play around with. it can handle chicken bones and thinner pork bones without a problem. i don't whack on it though, i use a rubber mallet on the spine of the knife to cut through the bone. for that stuff it's fine. and it's all i use it for. it's dirt cheap, even if it does chip, which it hasn't. i'd be okay with it breaking. lol.

not sure what it's really made out of. but it's pretty tough stuff. it can't handle sharpening beyond 1k. which is fine for what i use it for. really reactive too.