Cast Iron Kinfe

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The images in the description say "Material: Cast Iron Steel," so I'm not really sure what's going on with that.

Well if its cast iron, it definitely has a super high carbon content. I'd probably get one to hack through bone I guess. Also I thought ebay links were not allowed......

A knife made entirely of cast iron would be pretty much non-functional at any realistic level. Unless I'm missing something, anyway.

Well if its cast iron, it definitely has a super high carbon content. I'd probably get one to hack through bone I guess. Also I thought ebay links were not allowed......

If im not mistaken, Ebay links are allowed if the item has a "Buy it now" price. Bid only items are a no go.

Mowgs

i have one of these to play around with. it can handle chicken bones and thinner pork bones without a problem. i don't whack on it though, i use a rubber mallet on the spine of the knife to cut through the bone. for that stuff it's fine. and it's all i use it for. it's dirt cheap, even if it does chip, which it hasn't. i'd be okay with it breaking. lol.

not sure what it's really made out of. but it's pretty tough stuff. it can't handle sharpening beyond 1k. which is fine for what i use it for. really reactive too.

i have one of these to play around with. it can handle chicken bones and thinner pork bones without a problem. i don't whack on it though, i use a rubber mallet on the spine of the knife to cut through the bone. for that stuff it's fine. and it's all i use it for. it's dirt cheap, even if it does chip, which it hasn't. i'd be okay with it breaking. lol.

not sure what it's really made out of. but it's pretty tough stuff. it can't handle sharpening beyond 1k. which is fine for what i use it for. really reactive too.

mine easily takes a hair splitting edge on a Gesshin 8k followed by a strop, and it's not terribly reactive even after taking the lacquer off. I don't actually use it that way, I put on a 320 edge and whack chickens. Probably different materials involved, which makes comparison difficult.

FYI, a short discussion of cast iron vs steel from the Iron Founder's Society "Iron Castings Handbook".

"The term, cast iron, designates an entire family of metals with a wide variety of properties. It is a generic term like the word, steel, which also designates a family of metals. Steels and cast irons are primarily iron that is alloyed with carbon, but steels always contain less than two percent carbon and usually less than one while all cast irons contain more than two percent of carbon. Cast irons must also contain appreciable silicon, usually from one to three percent. These differences are not arbitrary, buy have a metallurgical basis and effect the differences in the useful properties of these two families of ferrous alloys.

The high carbon content and the silicon in cast irons make them excellent casting alloys. They are easily melted, are very fluid in the liquid state, and do not form difficult surface films when poured. Irons also solidify with nominal shrinkage and contraction problems. But their high carbon content precludes the practicality of forming cast irons in the solid state as is done with wrought steel."

Weren't the old Beatty cleavers cast?
It seem like before automated forging and machining where everywhere, casting was a relatively low tech and quick way to form metal into rough shapes.

I've seen a refurbed Beatty and own a Wagner pan and I must say that the casting on both was really nicely done -like nothing I've seen from our erra. When we thinking "cast iron" these days I think we all picture the really crude and void-riddled cheap lodge pans.

I was at the NorthWest Knife Collector's show in Kelso Washington today walking the tables when I spotted something I had been looking for, the curved blade knife from the Korean soap link here. The seller asked if I knew what it was and I told him yes a Korean kitchen knife. He was surprised I knew but told me a friend had brought it back from a trip there. Looks like somebody must have thought it was a chicken bone chopper, several dings in the edge but I can sharpen them out. Should be a good meat slicer after that.

The images in the description say "Material: Cast Iron Steel," so I'm not really sure what's going on with that.

steel core with cast iron sides. very common laminate construction on asian knives. It could also be cast steel and what you are reading is a poor translation.

Latest posts

Back