Quantcast
What Happens When You Abolish Tipping
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What Happens When You Abolish Tipping

What Happens When You Abolish Tipping

"Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough." —Mark Twain

making gratuity mandatory(server charge)? sounds good to me. the disparity between what FOH takes home and BOH takes home needs to change, thats for sure.

As someone who has worked as a server and in a kitchen,
    Available handles- http://s64.photobucket.com/user/mkri...able%20handles

Rule #1- Don't sweat the small s%&t, rule #2- It's ALL small s%&t
    Mikey

I think the idea of splitting the "service charge" amongst all the employees is a good idea. However, as someone who was forced to go to The Linkery three times in three different years, I have to say, the service was spotty and while there were a few tasty dishes, they weren't surprising (delicious sausages and cheese aren't hard to come by) or imaginative in flavor, composition or appearance. I always got the feeling it was the "coolness" (large open windows on the corner of a busy street in the fashionable part of town) that sold the place. I won't miss it. The $2 taco shop down the street is much better in every respect other than the wine list.

When I opened our place I flat out made it policy that a small percentage of FOH gratuity went to the BOH. It only amounts to $20-$30 extra on my cooks paychecks, but Heck that's gas money! plus I also thinks this helps tear down the "wall" between the front and back, which I absolutely despise.
    I'm on the fence when it comes to mandatory grat though. Too many issues with that. Will the severs start becoming less outgoing? And of course guests will certainly argue it. pros and cons I guess

This is a subject that is interesting and worth exploring, but is often overly reduced when it comes to the social and inequality outcomes of tipping, and also when trying to pinpoint which incentives are actually at play. It's way too simplistic to compare incentives by saying "look, they still exist!" rather than to understand why and how they work, and how the different models of employee pay change not only the customer/server dynamic, but also the employee/employer dynamic and the relation of the server in question to his ability to own his work product, in other words, server as deploying capital versus as working for a wage. Anyway, in a world of ossified ideology it is as disconcerting to see such an unnuanced view of an important topic as it is hopeful to see people thinking about it and discussing it.

What about adding a second gratuity line, for tipping BOH? Let the diner choose where the money goes.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

I worked both front and back of house. My rule was give $5 per line cook, $10 per chef. It isn't much, but once I started doing it, the other servers followed suit pretty quickly. All in all, I'd be out about $30 per shift, in tips, but that pales in comparison to the $200 I'd take home. With 5 servers doing the same, it was a decent little take home for the cooks. Not great, but ok.

Needless to say, my heart was always with the BOH and I always felt like a trader when I worked up front.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

the disparity between what FOH takes home and BOH takes home needs to change, thats for sure.
    most absolutely.

i've been pushing the concept of tipping out back of the house here in LA among chefs for about 2 years... either that or having a way to tip them separately.