Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What Happens When You Abolish Tipping

Quote Originally Posted by JMJones View Post
    I don't understand the whole tipping thing anyway. I have never worked in a restaurant, so I may not have a full perspective. I am not socially expected to tip my electrician, children's daycare provider, my doctor, person who helps me find something at the store ect. Why is it tied to the one service of taking my order, bringing it out and keeping my drink full?

That being said, I typically tip a standard 20% when eating out. Even if the service is not great, I figure that the restaurant it not paying the servers a living wage and there is a very good chance were not trying to provide inadequate service or being lazy , stuff just happens.

Having to rely on "gracious" tippers and getting stiffed by cheapskates must suck.
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V4sbYy0WdGQ

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    people dine out primarily for the food,not the service. i think its pretty respected among the civilians that the BOH talent is a better gauge of the percieved quality of a restaurant rather than the service.
    Quote Originally Posted by JMJones View Post
    I don't understand the whole tipping thing anyway. I have never worked in a restaurant, so I may not have a full perspective. I am not socially expected to tip my electrician, children's daycare provider, my doctor, person who helps me find something at the store ect. Why is it tied to the one service of taking my order, bringing it out and keeping my drink full?
    Both good points. Agreed.

Myself, I don't live in the States and so don't have to worry about the 20% so much. I think if service is good then, fine, perhaps round up the bill when you pay. But 20%? That's a lot. And of course it all depends on where you are.

Of course there are many countries where you never tip in restos and where service can be perfectly fine. Must be a breath of fresh air if you're not used to that and, whoa, you suddenly find that you've just eaten and that you only need to pay what you're supposed to. To me the mandatory tipping culture that exists in North America is pretty odd indeed.

The 'mandatory' tipping in the US is because the servers are typically paid around/ less than minimum wage. In many other countries the servers are paid better (which is reflected in the cost of the entrée, etc.) and tipping is not normal.

the government also taxes tips in the US. which means very often servers dont actually recieve any income through their paychecks and live enirely on their tips/tip share.

Quote Originally Posted by WildBoar View Post
    The 'mandatory' tipping in the US is because the servers are typically paid around/ less than minimum wage. In many other countries the servers are paid better (which is reflected in the cost of the entrée, etc.) and tipping is not normal.
    Yes, of course I'm not so sure about servers being paid better in many other places, however. I think I they often still tend to get paid minimally, more along the lines of the crew in the kitchen.

Quote Originally Posted by WildBoar View Post
    It is because of tips that they are only paid around/ less than minimum wage with tips making up the difference. Do away with tips and pay them a living wage would be the way to go.
    "Those who say it can't be done are always pasted by those doing it"

Quote Originally Posted by bahamaroot View Post
    It is because of tips that they are only paid around/ less than minimum wage with tips making up the difference. Do away with tips and pay them a living wage would be the way to go.
    Explain why it is the way to go. Most servers, given the choice, would probably pick tips because the average pay is higher. People other than the servers don't really matter in the calculus.

Do away with tips and pay them a living wage would be the way to go.
    from the stuff i've watched minimum wage in your country is $7-$12 dollars an hour, depending on the state. and if it were an ideal world, it would be $22 dollars an hour by now, according to someone i watched on video that computed everything including inflation and stuff.

i'd like to think, with the standard of living on your country among other things. it would be a very liveable wage indeed and eliminating tips altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by mzer View Post
    Explain why it is the way to go. Most servers, given the choice, would probably pick tips because the average pay is higher. People other than the servers don't really matter in the calculus.
    They would chose tips over minimun wage but no one said pay them minimum wage. I said pay them a living wage. You can't live on minimum wage. I wouldn't want my pay dependent on someones generosity at a given moment.
    "Those who say it can't be done are always pasted by those doing it"

Where I work BOH gets a little tip money but we all share it equally and generally only get about £10 a week. The dishwashers get the same. I get the feeling the minimum wage over here in the UK is higher than that in the US though. I understand that FOH are responsible for a lot of how happy a customer is, but at the same time to get the damn food out there takes a lot of sacrifices FOH doesn't haven't to make, FOH basically have a much cushier job to be honest. I'm glat to get any extra money, but it is still a little grating when someone works about 8 hours a week and gets like 3-4 times the tips I get for a 50 or 60 hour week. Basically I think it should be more equal