Thinking about a workhorse gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JKerr

Reaction score
Thinking about picking up a new gyuto. Got a few ideas in my head of what I want, but nothing solid.

Here's what I'd prefer:
Workhorse gyuto, something with a bit of heft. No lasers please.
250-270mm heel to tip
I would prefer a western handle, but definitely not essential.
I'd prefer carbon, not bothered whether it's clad or not, but I'm also open to stainless. Edge retention is really the biggest priority for me, but I'm happy to sacrifice a bit of retention by going for carbon over stainless. I just prefer the feel of carbon in hand and on the stones.
Preferably something that's good to go out of the box in terms of fit and finish, i.e. nothing I'm going to need to thin significantly before I use it a la Aritsugu. Not bothered if it's a little rough on the handle or around the edges.

Let's say I have a budget of $500, give or take.

Here's a few I was considering:

Carbon:
Mizuno hontanren blue 2 (?)
Fujiwara Teruyasu maboroshi white 1
Gesshin Ino white 2
Ittinomonn western v2
Sugimoto SHM (white ?)
Tanaka blue 2

Stainless:
Hattori FH vg-10
Takeshi Saji R2

For what it's worth, I don't cut much in the way of acidic food where I work so reactivity isn't a big deal.

Feedback and recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Josh

There is something so unorthodox about those Ittinomonn gyutos that has me intrigued as well. I've got a Yoshikane yanagi in V2 coming my way soon; it will be my first experience with the steel.

Gesshin ittetsu (ino) should be out... its THIN

Agreed.

But you could switch it out for a Gengetsu or Gesshin Heiji from Jon instead. Obviously, limited (or no) western selections from those brands. And in Gengetsu's case, hard to come by. But these two and Kato are my favorite workhorse knives and some of my favorite knives period.

I haven't used any of those knives. But picking a work horse for $500 is a pretty sweet situation to be in. I am looking forward to the recommendations.

for workhorse gyuto, please add Wanatanbe pro gyuto in your consideration list!

Tanaka blue2 Damascus and ginsanko are pretty spectacular for the money though the f n f isn't the greatest.

Guys, I have an Itinomonn that I'm letting a member here use. If he doesn't buy it off me, maybe it could be a passaround(?) But, yeah. It's a beautiful workhorse-ish knife.

I don't think Maxim named his Kato 'the workhorse' for no reason. The one I had the pleasure to use was a true beast. I would also second JC's vote for a Gesshin Heiji. I don't think you could go wrong with either.

edit...western would eliminate the GH, and limit the Kato to the 240 @ JNS

Western-handle workhorse carbon spells 'Masamoto HC'. Ask Koki to hook you up with a good one.

Saji's a good one. Only gave it an initial sharpening and it's not too noticeably duller after 3 months of home use. A tad sharp on the spine and a little lacking in the distal taper department though.

It is a tad thin behind the edge however. Here's a choil shot I took a couple of months ago

photo.jpg

Cheers for the heads up on the Ittetsu, looks a lot more substantial from the pics. And for all the other feedback so far guys.

The Kato is probably getting a bit too expensive, I think the 240 would be a touch too small for my tastes and the 270 is $700+. I have no doubt it's worth every penny though.
The Heiji could be a possibility, been eying those off for a while now. Can anyone make any comparisons of the steel, carbon or semi stainless?
Watanabe's another maker I've been interested in, my only concern with his gyutos is the tip. I've never handled one so it's just speculation from pics I've seen but the tip looks kinda "clunky". Probably a ridiculous concern.
One of the senior chefs at work has a Masamoto HC. It's a nice enough knife, but just doesn't suit me. Can't put my finger on it, it could just be Masamoto in general. I wasn't overly keen with the KS gyuto I had. Again, it's a nice knife, but just didn't suit me.

"The Kato is probably getting a bit too expensive, I think the 240 would be a touch too small for my tastes and the 270 is $700+. I have no doubt it's worth every penny though."

My 240 Kato is 249 mm on the edge.

There is something so unorthodox about those Ittinomonn gyutos that has me intrigued as well. I've got a Yoshikane yanagi in V2 coming my way soon; it will be my first experience with the steel.

V2 is kickass steel.

"The Kato is probably getting a bit too expensive, I think the 240 would be a touch too small for my tastes and the 270 is $700+. I have no doubt it's worth every penny though."

My 240 Kato is 249 mm on the edge.

Hmm, could be on the table then. I was going by the measurements on Maxim's site. What's the steel like on the stones and in terms of retention?

Also, if anyone owns a western fujiwara teruyasu gyuto, do the run long, short or spot on?

Cheers,
Josh

I'll second that the Kato is a big 240.
Edge retention is good , feels quite different to my other knives on the stones . It seems to respond very well to my sigma power 6000 as a finisher.

I'll third that Kato sentiment. Best work horse I've handled. Longish 240, nice comfy spine. Choil on mine could have used a bit more work, but it was much nicer than some others I've experienced. Mine was also one of the earlier ones. I'm with you on the KS. Just didn't do it for me. Gesshin Heiji is my next buy. I won't reccomend it, as I haven't used it. But I really want one. Just saying:D

There's so much love for the Kato, seems like everyone who's tried one has nothing but good things to say. Think the Kato and the Mizuno are the two front runners at the moment.
Based on my teruyasu cleaver though, I'd still be keen to check out one of Fujiwara-sans gyutos in the Maboroshi line. He's done a top job with the white 1 in the cleaver. There was a few kinks to sort out, but I've heard the F+F is more consistent with the other lines (on the blade anyway). Just worried that a 240 would be too small if they're measurements are spot on.

Thanks again everyone.

Josh

the tip is the one drawback of watanabe, it's bullnose and sits kind of high. the 270 is MASSIVE by the way, i am thinking of selling mine and opt for a custom 260mm or so. i would be interested in the mizuno if it were taller. i'm still in search of the one that fits all of my wants. contemplating a full custom tilman as option to hit on every aspect (steel, geometry, profile)

oh you want western handle, then no idea.

the tip is the one drawback of watanabe, it's bullnose and sits kind of high. the 270 is MASSIVE by the way, i am thinking of selling mine and opt for a custom 260mm or so. i would be interested in the mizuno if it were taller. i'm still in search of the one that fits all of my wants. contemplating a full custom tilman as option to hit on every aspect (steel, geometry, profile)

oh you want western handle, then no idea.

Yeah, I thought the watanabe looked a bit "puggish" at the tip. Really the only chefs knives I use anymore are my Sabs, and I think the profile on them is pretty much perfect so the height of the Mizuno kind of appeals to me. It's funny, I've used lots of great gyutos in the past, but seeing as I've pretty much used cleavers exclusively for the last year I feel like a total newbie again when looking for a new gyuto.

Handle wise, western is preferable but not essential. Most of the knives that are of interest to me are wa-style anyway.

I used a Kumagoro as my beefy carbon.I really like that blade.It is by far the largest 240mm I've had looks more like a 270.The hammer finish is good looking & works well.Great Steel.To me they look much better in person than the pics. on EE.I put a Stepan Keller burl octagon Wa on mine.

Josh, I have heard you stated a budget of five hundreds, but if you feel like treating your self, Kato kikuryu western handle fits a lot of your criteria, except price :spiteful:

It's a beauty; it's a workhorse; and it has a western handle. Huw can probably vouch for his new western handle version. I can only give a full vote for a wa version though.

Well, I've already got a few beers in me and I'm off to the pub to catch up with a mate shortly....that would probably make it easier to justify....

How's it perform compared to the wa gyuto? Going by the measurements on JNS it's a lot thinner. Not that I'm actually considering buying one.

Yep it's thinner above the heel, for about the first 1/3 then it's pretty similar. Performance is pretty similar

If you were considering going over budget but not so far over I'd consider the 270mm Mizuno Honyaki in white#2 I have the 240 in blue and it is an awesome knife.

what about a Tanaka Ironwood? Love mine and SG2 is a good steel - am a home cook though so take what I say with lots of salt :- )

Let me know if u want to try the kato. I have a 240mm (thanks huw!)

James

Heard good things about the Tanaka R2/SG2. To be honest though, if I decided to go that route I'd probably just for a Takeshi Saji seeing as I've handled his gyutos before and like his profiles, plus Chefs Armoury stock them so I could pick one out for only slightly more. Saji's knives tend to run long too, not sure about Tanaka's.

Might PM you about the Kato, James. I'd be happy to send some stuff up your way, assuming you'd be interested in playing around with cleavers, don't really have anything else of interest :dontknow:

Kato is a great knife. If you can try one ahead of time you should. If you are used to Sabs you may be shocked at how hard the Kato is. Sab and Kato are opposite extremes of the spectrum in that regard.

Back