Quantcast
Most versatile suji for service? - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Most versatile suji for service?

I guess it is a Japanese kitchen for that many guys using ginga stainless petty/sujis.Also speaks highly of the blade.

Another line slicer that gets little attention is the Kanetsugu Pro-J 210mm sugi.Hammer finish ZA-18 Cobalt steel hrt 60-61.These knives have excellent convex edges & thin geometry.Nice handles & heat treatment too.Sold at JCK

I have been using my Gesshin Heiji 210mm Semi Stainless petty as of late. Stainless clad, great edge retention, sturdy, no worries if it gets knocked around a bit.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

I love my suisin inox 210

I have a love for takeda in these situations. When I worked on a hot line and did a lot of on the fly cuts and slices I preferred my 210mm takeda yanagi. Now that I am constantly cutting and slicing and doing technical things I have found a lot more use for a 270mm takeda yanagi. The 270 version is basically a gyuto sized height where as the 210 version is basically a long petty and very little knuckle clearance. If the 240 is in the middle of the two you may have an insanely awesome line knife there.

If anyone has one of the 240 takeda yanagis please chime in.

I love both of the takedas very much and there is something very special about the grinds on the knives that make them insanely sharp and have great edge retention. But the 270 version is like an amazing gyuto, even though they call it a yanagi. Shosui may make a 210 version for you with the same height as the 270 if you were to put in a custom order.

If I had the money now I would order a custom 300mm yanagi from shosui takeda with a little less height than the 270. His knives are amazing.
    "A recipe has no soul. You as the cook must bring soul to the recipe." -Thomas Keller

I usually use a 210 fowler, my chef has a 210 kono hd2. I used it the other night as a line slicer, was nice, I chopped a pepper amongst my slicing, it did the job, not much knuckle clearance though, I wouldn't be doing a ton of chiffonading with it. It had reasonably less drag than my fowler, the fowler 210 has plenty knuckle clearance to make it a better all around knife, but worse slicer. Oh, I diced a tomato with the kono beautifully as well . Oh and sliced a freakin ton of protein. I know a guy who rates his ginga up there, I have never used it though personally, so I can't tell you. I also have a 240 mario gyutohiki, but it's a little bit long for my line, it's really awesome though.

I had the good fortune to test drive Mike Henry's 270 Takeda yani/suji. I never appreciated how amazingly accurate the collective wisdom of the KKF crew could be until I spent a bit of time with that knife. I still struggle to explain why it worked as well as it did. The profile upon inspection told me that it would be a marginal performer, at best. The cutting, however, told an entirely different story. It was nothing less than impressive. I think a Takeda yani/suji in the 250 range might be the perfect line knife assuming the line isn't too tight.

+ Reply to Thread