Quantcast
Help me choose better beater knives - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me choose better beater knives

Another vote for Global here.

I still have a Messermeister in my kitchen for rough work as well as Globals. You can sharpen the whole edge. Knife as soe weight to it.

I never would have considered Global. Clearly I have an inaccurate opinion that they are semi-delicate like Shun. Not sure why I thought that because I've never really looked at their stuff. Just seems like the name gets tossed in with Shun I guess. Ok I will heard over to the Global site and see what they are all about.

+1 on Rick's suggestion. I still buy old french knives from time to time and just grind the bolster off as suggested to "get into" the edge. Alternatively, the Fujiwara stainless could be a good option, pretty sure it's a bit cheaper than Globals and probably not substantially more then Victorinox, but they still stand up favorably with many of the knife nerds around here.

Messermeister Meridian Elite looks perfect. Do we like Cutleryandmore?

EE carries them, a forum member . I've had fine service from both.

Globals are thin, so people think they're delicate, but the relative softness of the steel allows for them to roll before they chip, much like a German knife. They're kind of a more nimble, slightly harder, better profiled futuristic looking knife that is made in Japan. It doesn't make sense, but it makes perfect sense. I'll upload a pic of my "beauty" when I get home, shortly.

Also, I like the Messermeister suggestion. They have an option that doesn't have the annoying finger guard, and a slightly nicer profile (still Rick Ross belly, but nicer than a Wusty). It was years ago that I used them, but I think it's the Meridien Elite. It's worth looking at for the family, and there's something to be said for not having the same German knives as your neighbors.

I'd like to add that I'm enjoying this thread, because so far we've dodged the trend of naming the currently chic choice. Sometimes we forget that the knives that got us here are still more than acceptable tools.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Another happy (albeit occasional) user of Messermeister Meridian Elite. A little blade heavy, robust, with semi-bolster, knife will take almost any abuse. You want 2 cups of chopped walnuts - you got 2 cups of chopped walnuts. And still have an edge.

Not a fan of Global. The metal handles are uncomfortable to me, the edges and spine are all sharp. People I know that have them, like them a lot.

At that price point some of the less expensive Japanese stainless knives are also available.
    Dave
    Older and wider.

Have a few Messermeister's, They are pretty good as entry level beater's. I use a 4" chef's as my poor man's Deba
    the profile & size make it really handy for breaking down whole chickens.

Amazon.com carries the complete line. you can also order online direct from the So. Cal distributor

One Caveat , I don't really care for their parer's, It seems like they used photo shop
    to shrink the prints of a slicer down to 3". Just because I want a smaller blade
    doesn't mean my hands shrink to match. The handles feel like #2 pencils

Togiharu Moybdenum 210 - $86. We used to keep one of these around on the beater magnetic strip at a previous job for prep cooks/trails without knives/general beater usage. Maybe saw the stones once or twice in a year, definitely not used delicately though got used and honed frequently. I was always surprised that it was in good shape and had a decent edge on it when I would grab it to open something or demo a task for someone.

+ Reply to Thread