Quantcast
Help me choose better beater knives - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Help me choose better beater knives

Here's my shopping cart:
    Messermeister Meridian Elite 2.5-in. Bird's Beak Peeling Knife (I like it for coring strawberries, splitting sausage casing)
    Messermeister Meridian Elite 5-in. Tomato Knife (wife likes it for almost everything)
    Messermeister Meridian Elite 6-in. Utility Knife (wife's other favorite)
    Masahiro 6.25-in. Boning Knife (my go to for most anything when I don't feel like unboxing the good knives)
    Togiharu Molybdenum 210 Gyutou (to replace the 8" chefs)

All for $367 and avoids the current brands du jour. Also they don't look a whole lot different than what we have now (aka wife probably won't notice)

oh and thanks guys for the Global recommendation. I looked and learned much more about them but they just don't do it for me aesthetically. Not that that should matter, but it does.

What is your price point? If you're in the global range that's an expensive beater. Thriftstores are an xlnt resource for cheap knives. The Ikea knives from the 70s-80s with wood handles are easy to sharpen and you won't cry when your $1 purchase ends up in the dishwasher. Up from that I still say the old 4 star Henckles are a good knife if you don't mind stainless, that is if you buy used in the $15-20 range. Globals... I see more of those in cook's rolls than ANY other and they are always so proud of them. To each their own, but I would rather use a shity Henckle, just feels better in the hand. And I'm a die hard Wa handle guy.
    Go thriftin'
    Long live Carbon!!

Quote Originally Posted by aaamax View Post
    What is your price point? If you're in the global range that's an expensive beater. Thriftstores are an xlnt resource for cheap knives. The Ikea knives from the 70s-80s with wood handles are easy to sharpen and you won't cry when your $1 purchase ends up in the dishwasher. Up from that I still say the old 4 star Henckles are a good knife if you don't mind stainless, that is if you buy used in the $15-20 range. Globals... I see more of those in cook's rolls than ANY other and they are always so proud of them. To each their own, but I would rather use a shity Henckle, just feels better in the hand. And I'm a die hard Wa handle guy.
    Go thriftin'
    True I have bought a bunch of blades from the swapmeet

Price was under 400USD for 5-6 knives. I wanted to step up a little bit. We don't have many thrift stores around us, in fact I can only think of one but I really should go there more often. Knowing our area I might just find a chipped Shun or two in there.

Just noticed I need 50 posts to sell in BST.

Quote Originally Posted by mast3quila View Post
    Price was under 400USD for 5-6 knives.
    Just noticed I need 50 posts to sell in BST.
    Well hell then, lets keep posting!
    If you're up in that range I'd tell the family that it's time for them to learn to take care of knives and buy some simple Carbon, but decent, cheap ones like a couple of country style Tosagatas. We're talking roughly 60 bones for a new 240ish Gyuto type or a Nakiri and then throw in a 120ish parer for $35. You don't need more than that and when the kids leave them in a puddle of orange juice, just revel in the new patina! lol.
    Long live Carbon!!

See then I will start caring too much about their knives. And next thing you know I'll have to hide them all and start over with a cheapie block for them. The only time they really cook is when I'm not around - which would mean I wouldn't be there to pull the blade out of the dish water, etc. Half way to 50!

I hate to say it, but carbon is a big no or non-knife enthusiasts. They don't get it, it's too much effort and they won't use them. My wife won't touch any carbon knives, even after all these years, and the same goes for my friends/their wives.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Agreed. If there is any chance that the knives are going into a dishwasher, carbon steel is definitely out. I wouldn't even recommend semi-stainless steel knives.

The fact that Globals are entirely steel, and a very stainless steel, makes them great for people who throw knives into dishwashers. They'll get scratched, but they wont degrade. And, if they stain, a softer scrubbing sponge will take off most stains. Even pakkawood handles get thrashed in the dishwasher or if soaked in standing water.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

I have never owned or used a Global,but have sharpened them.Just sharpened one the other day that was close to 12" long a real beast.I did like the long flatter edge profile on it.Was able to raise a burr after a little work on the stone & it took a keen edge.It is chrom moly wt. a good heat treatment.I imagine the edge holding is decent at best.I never could get past those handles either,but have known cooks who use & like them.

The Gesshin Uraku is a much better knife at around the same price as the Global.

+ Reply to Thread