Quantcast
What makes a good boning/fillet knife?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What makes a good boning/fillet knife?

What makes a good boning/fillet knife?

Hey guys.

I'm interesting in making a boning/fillet hybrid. It'll be an interesting project, and also very, very tricky I think. I don't really know what makes a good one though.

I noticed that nearly all of the ones I've seen have a guard and closed heel, but I want to have at least an open heel. A guard would be very difficult for me with my limited experience as well, but maybe it's doable.

Heck, I don't even know how one is properly used, particularly the grip; is it just a hammer grip most of the time?

Thanks for your expertise!

aren't boning knives fairly stiff, compared to filet knives? I guess a Deba would be the closest thing, right?

I forgot to ask about that too. Does a boning/fillet hybrid just not make any sense then?

In for the discussion!
    I try to be the man I am..in times of broken lives. Shattered dreams and plans..standing up to fight. Pressures and demands..staring at the knife. Holding in your hands..

i don't think i've ever seen a descent eastern style flexible fillet knife, except for a global i would love to have something "special" to quickly break down sole with.

I'll just wiegh in quickly with this. Regarding the grip, more than any other knives process knives are often used in a variety of grips, pinch, hammer, overhand, fore-finger on the spine, all to do different jobs.

I don't think that a hybrid boner/filet makes much sense - but then again I bone large fish with a deba, and small with a ko-deba. The only advantage to a western fillet knife over deba in my opinion is the flex when boning flat fish, and realistically the more flex the better. Flex is the last thing that you want in a good boning knife.

I've had some variant of a Dexter Russell fillet knife in my tackle box for many years. Its flexible at the tip and through the body. In use it curves with ribcage of the fish to fillet. Stainless is preferred steel. (fish, water, salt water, etc) You should be able to see one at any rest supply, sporting goods store, maybe wally world. The boning knife should flex some at tip but be more robust through the body. Both should have handles that can be readily cleaned. Good examples of each are readily available. I don't see a hybrid doing both jobs well. Note that my perspective is that of a casual user and not day to day professional kitchen use. Good luck.
    Dave
    Older and wider.

Glestain makes a flexible filet knife: http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/GLESTAIN2.html This might be a good start for a filet knife.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Thanks guys. Seems like they certainly have their differences. Maybe I'll stick with one of them and go with it.

If I come up with some drawings I will post them here for thoughts and criticism. Thanks again!

Also something I thought of this morning whilst boning out a lamb, I think the balance of western process knives is best when they are handle heavy.