Stashed and Forgotten.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
When I saw the photo of Chuck the Butcher's Kramer it brought back memories.
My first thought when I saw the knife was "Hey, that's my wood".
It was from a huge maple burl I bought from a veneer guy years ago.
The burl was a large stump burl that we could barely move around with the fork lift.
A lot of the times the stump burls will have large bubbles with pins instead of the compact pins that you see on the side burls.

This was from a big slab that I had set aside and forgotten.
The only reason it hadn't sold was because it was too heavy for two people to lift. And it was pretty expensive.

I cut off a couple chunks from a good looking portion of the slab. Now I have a couple pieces I can lift by myself.
mb001_zpsd27df9a6.jpg

This shows the exterior. As long as I cut parallel to the outer surface of the burl the figure will look similar to this.
mb002_zps9fc35587.jpg

This is the other side. You can get a glimpse but you will be able to see the figure better when I sand it.
mb003_zps913c1da2.jpg

Here I have cut the two chunks into strips that I can manage on my smaller bandsaw. I will cut these into blocks and sand a couple so I can get a better look at the grain and figure.
mb004_zps50ae5594.jpg

Here are a couple sanded blocks.
They don't look like much now but this is the type of maple that begs to be dyed blue or black.
The places that show off colors will resist the dye. The rest will do a color change.
When dyed blue, this will show blue, green and purple.
013_zpsc355643d.jpg

That's gorgeous Mark! I seem to recall pestering someone about black dyed maple burl awhile back...

Hmmm!!

:D

Latest posts

Back