• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Cleaver clear out

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JKerr

Reaction score
So I'm trying to to streamline the kit so I just have a few core knives and nothing unnecessary (how many times have we all said that before?). I still use most of these cleavers, but when pushed to pick what to keep the Fujiwara and Saji win out.

Sorry for the bad picks, order from left to right is: Hattori FH vg-10 cocobolo handle, Mizuno Tanrenjo Stainless, Konosuke Fujiyama #6 white 2, Yoshikane kasumi V2 no handle, Pierre Rodrigue Midtech cpm154 from the Nose to Tail line from Butch and Baker, Sugimoto #7 white 2 (?). The last pic of the tips will obviously be in reverse order.

DSC_0216_zps83935647.jpg
DSC_0217_zps83bffba0.jpg
DSC_0218_zpsf622fbbc.jpg

All knives have been used in a professional environment and have been sharpened regularly by me so there is some wear and scuffs on all of them. Here's the speel.

Hattori FH. This is actually the second one I've bought and I've only had this for a month or two now I think. So it's practically in new condition. VG-10 steel, nice HT from Hattori, flawless finish on the handle, spine and choil a little sharp. Geometry wise it's like a #6, super thin but it is on the heavy side at around 548g. Most of that is in the handle though so it doesn't feel as heavy as it is IMO.
Asking $300

Mizuno Tanrenjo Stainless. Some sort of Swedish steel, had this for about a year so it's been sharpened more than the others, subsequently it's about 4mm short than a new one. Still cuts well, I've thinned it a little in the past but it could do with more work. F+F is surprisingly good for a Mizuno, I suspect they use an OEM for their stainless cleavers. Weight 470g
Asking $200

Konosuke Fujiyama #6 white 2. Bought about 6 months ago from Chefs Armoury. Excellent cleaver, super thin, gets mad sharp very easily, edge retention is pretty average but that's to be expected I suppose. Not overly reactive either which is a plus. Cuts very well, though it does get a bit of sticktion at certain parts. Great taper, comfy spine and choil, great finish on the handle; probably the most natural feeling of all cleavers I've used. Weight 487g
Asking $250

Yoshikane Kasumi V2. Bought maybe 4 months ago (?) from Maxim. This has probably seen the least use (barring the Hattori), I just never took a liking to it. The original handle was way too small for my tastes so I knocked it off and tried some more traditional barrel handles with it. Ultimately I just couldn't find anything I liked the feel of on it and I don't have the patience to make or order a custom. Aside from my personal preferences it is a nice cleaver. The V2 steel is by far the easiest steel to sharpen that I've used, and gets super sharp. It cuts well, F+F is top notch as expected from Yoshikane. Fat spine with a nice taper, well rounded spine and choil, excellent edge profile. Weight 414g (without handle).
An important thing to know about this knife is that the tang is slightly bent. It took me a while to even notice to be honest and certainly doesn't affect it's performance. Chances are it could probably be bent back or it could be taken into account when a new handle is installed.
Asking $250

Pierre Rodrige Midtech Cpm154. Picked this up from Butcher and Baker when they did the one of run of Pierre's midtechs. F+F is great, steel holds it's edge reasonably well, fairly stubborn on the stones but not as bad as I expected. Well rounded spine and choil, g-10 handle. I vowed never to sell this knife purely because I know I won't get another, but the bottom line is that I never use it. The profile is a little too flat for may tastes and the handle's too skinny. Weighs a bit at 530g, but most of the weight is in the handle so it's balanced nicely. Ridiculously thin at the tip, puts most CCKs to shame. Some minor scuffing just about the edge on the right hand side, I must have been careless when sharpening at some point.
Asking $250

Sugimoto #7. I think this is white 2, but not sure. By far my favorite cleaver, super comfy handle, fat spine with a nice taper, feels great on the stones and holds an edge pretty well for white steel. Cut's brilliantly for a fatty too. I'm only selling this as the Fujiwara beats it out on edge retention which is pretty important to me at the moment plus I intend to pick up an OMS model depending how many of these cleavers sell. Probably had this for about 6 months, still is great condition. Weight 538g
Asking $250

There's dimensions and profiles in the cleaver tracings thread in the kitchen knife knowledge subforum. Please feel free to message me if you'd like to see more pics.

Also relisting the Haslinger 10' chefs knife that's came up over and over. Had for a bit over a year now, koa handle, cpms35vn steel. Sharpens well, cuts well but sticktion is a problem with the flat grind.
Asking $200
DSC_0134_zps19e66040.jpg

All prices are in USD and paypal only please. Happy to ship international via registered airmail (about 7-10 days) at an extra $25. Free shipping in Australia.

Cheers,
Josh

This is tempting, and I am not even a cleaver guy.... Wish I had the funds for the Yoshikane and the Haslinger. GLWS.

Stefan

I'll take the Mizuno Tanrenjo off your hands for you.

If you're willing to try to figure out a trade, I'm interested in the Rodrigue.

If I hadn't ordered my first gyuto a few days ago, I'd be mighty tempted to pick up one of these. I live in Taiwan and have plenty of rubbish Chinese knives around, but few to no performance knives.

Best I've got is one of those Jinmen/"Maestro Wu" cleavers from maybe a decade ago. Not terrible but I haven't figured out how to optimize its geometry, and the current edge angle is a bit large for a slicer.

Sorry for the plate replies everyone, just woke up.

So at the moment:
Haslinger SPF
Mizuno SPF
Pierre SPF
Yoshikane on hold

Sugimoto, Hattori and Konosuke are still available.

Cheers,
Josh

Pierre sold
Yoshikane back on the market

Cheers,
Josh

Mizuno and Haslinger sold.
Yoshikane SPF

OMG :fanning:

I just can´t get more cleavers without letting go one or two but this is tempting

Congrats on the lucky buyers and good luck with the sale

FYI for the new buyer.

The cleaver of mine wasn't a mid-tech. It was a one-of "Prototype". It was to to be the model that the midtech's would have been built on.

Steel is CPM 154 @ HRC 61, the reason it was stubborn on the stones. Hope the new buyer enjoys it!

I'm kinda glad I stumbled in late for this one.

Sorry guys, I suspected the Rodrigue would go fast. I know I'm gonna regret selling that one, even more so knowing Pierre actually made. But it deserves to be used.

P.S. Yoshikane is sold too.

Small price drop.
Hattori $280
Sugimoto $230
Konosuke $230

Free shipping in Aus, add $25 for international shipping.

Bugger it, I'll take the sugimoto. I'll shoot you a pm later Josh.

No worries mate. It'll be on hold for you.

Bump.

Konosuke ($230) and Hattori ($280) still available.

Cheers,
Josh

Konosuke sold.

Just the Hattori left.

Cheers,
Josh

Back